Lakland headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Jun 16, 2004.

1. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I wonder how Lakland was able to produce a headstock so close in shape to the Stingray? Anybody else notice this?
  2. The shape is pretty similar, but the tuner arrangement is totally different. I would say that it is no more similar than any fender style bass (sadowsky, lull, etc.).

3. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Well that's true...Sadowsky has almost the same headstock. I just figured there would be a lawsuit when they look that close but Sadowsky and Lakland aren't using the 3+1 tuning.
  4. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Its almost the same, but the Lakland is alittle wider towards the body, and of course tuner arrangement.

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    For splittin' hairs' sake, throw Essex into the mix.
  6. There won't be a lawsuit until one of the manufacturers determines that somebody else's headstock shape is costing them money. Gibson, by the way, is suing Paul Reed Smith because the PRS singlecut resembles the Les Paul.
  7. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Check out the Lakland Hollowbody bass--I know it's 2x2 not 3x1, but it is very close in shape and profile to EB/Music Man.

It's cool--makes my Stingray and HB a closer visual match. ;)
  8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Actually, the objective in the headstock design was to create a hybrid headstock between a Jazz and a StingRay. Look at the left side of the headstock, you can see it looks like a Jazz just judging from that side. It's not curvy like a Stingray. Look at the right side, it looks like a Stingray. Remember, the whole objective of Dan Lakin and those other guys when creating the -94 series in general was to create a hybrid between a Stingray and a Jazz bass.
  9. "Gibson, by the way, is suing Paul Reed Smith because the PRS singlecut resembles the Les Paul."
    So, finally, the shoe is on the other foot.
    I love his instruments, but he's such a friggin' jerk.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ha have you seen the new sx headstock?
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Actually, Gibson's already won this suit. The monetary settlement has yet to be determined and/or announced. IMO there's ALOT of other companies making guitars that resemble Gibsons much more than any PRS I've seen, but then again, these are MUCH smaller operations than PRS, so I guess Gibson isn't worried about them.
  12. Well, that's the real story right there. There's no reason to sue if there's no chance to collect your money if you win. I didn't follow up to see if Gibson won or lost but PRS certainly has sold a significant number of guitars and may have adversely effected Gibson's bottom line. I don't think anybody can say that they were confused and bought a PRS by accident when they thought they were buying a Gibson, though.