1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Hollowbody 30 vs Reverend Dub King

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Multiverse84, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Multiverse84

Multiverse84

Mar 22, 2017
    Does anyone have experience with these two basses? They are both short scale (30") hollowbody basses but with totally different aesthetics. I dig them both, and I've narrowed it down to the two of them, but I can't make a final decision. Any thoughts on playability, neck balance, tone, construction quality, etc would be most appreciated!

2. Multiverse84

Multiverse84

Mar 22, 2017
    Bump.

3. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    watching - i have interest in these too - esp. in how much they can cop more aggressive tones in addition to the expected thumps

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I wish I had a hobo30 around to try, but the Dub King can get way more bright and aggressive than I thought it would. It doesn't feel or sound like a shorty when properly set up with fresh strings. =0) I'll have one someday.

CereBassum likes this.
  5. Did you ever make a choice?

6. Multiverse84

Multiverse84

Mar 22, 2017
    Funny you should just ask! I decided to wait until the Lakland was in because I noticed that reviews for the Dub King are along the lines of "this is a nice bass" or "cool bass, has a nice thump" while the reviews of the Lakland are a bit more "this is the best bass I've ever played." However, due to the new rosewood regulations, I've been waiting on the bass since early April. It just came in this week. I had a gig on Wednesday to give it a spin, and thus far, here are my thoughts:

I've had experience with a vintage Hofner Beatle Bass, a Rogue Violin Bass, a Squier SS Jaguar, and now the Lakland. Of all of these instruments, the Hobo 30 is the most contemporary feeling and sounding.

Strings: It came with roundwounds, which I prefer for the eclectic cover band I use it for. I was concerned that flatwounds would pigeon-hole the tone into McCartney/Jamerson territory too much. Though brand new roundwonds are always too bright for my taste, I can tell these are very nice quality. I'm assuming it's custom Laklands like on their full scale models. The low E surprised me with how much less floppy it is than any other short-scale bass I've played.

String to String Balance: This is something I noticed right away. The tone change from one string to the next is marginal. A lot of basses I've played, short and full scale, especially have a big jump in brightness/thinness from the D to G strings, and this bass does not. There is a change, as there should be, but not a leap. SS basses often have a jump in boomy, thumpy bass response on the low E, and this one has less of a jump there, though I suspect with aged strings or flatwounds, this would have it too. In short, very nice, smooth string balance.

Hardware: Tuning machines and bridge are very high quality. The bridge is comfortable for palm-muting. The light-weight tuners feel very solid, and definitely out class every SS bass I've played, even Hofner.

Electronics: Pickups are quiet and sound great. Definitely no corner's cut in this department. I was hoping the control configuration was Master Volume, Master Tone, Blender Knob, but it's the usual Neck Volume, Bridge Volume, Master Tone. Not a big deal. Pots are smooth and everything works, so I'm happy. Neck pickup is kinda in the way if you want to slap, but I can still make it work, when I need to. I'm not a big slap-style guy, and neither is this design.

Neck/Setup: It came with a tag saying it was "Plek'd" in Chicago, and though I thought the Plek thing was all hype, I will say the nut and fret work and perfect intonation everywhere down the neck on every string suggest there might be something to it. I would say the setup is actually a highlight of the bass. Impressively precise. As far as feel, the neck feels much more Fender than Hofner, which is nice, since it's considered more "standard."

Summary: If I let the strings die and kept them on forever, or jumped to flats, I'd probably get the stereotypical short-scale Beatle thing happening like you might expect. However, as big of a Beatles fan as I am, what I've really been looking for is a short-scale bass that has the build quality and versatility of a full scale bass. I believe I have finally found it.

If my opinion changes as time goes on, I will return to this post and update. I don't have a Dub King to compare it to, but I'm very impressed with this instrument.

7. Multiverse84

Multiverse84

Mar 22, 2017
    With newer strings and using the bridge pickup and little bit of neck pickup, you get a nice, throaty tone that works well with my bass tubescreamer. This thing does more than thump.

8. DaddySangBass

DaddySangBass

Apr 29, 2015
    Texas
    Agree with Multiverse84. Love the looks and strongly considered the Dub King (except the orange), but purchased the Lakland and installed flats. Love it, and tend to pick it up 90% of the time over my Sq Jag SS. Only difference from Multiverse84 comments is G string sounds thin compared to others.

Just saw Dub King has more color options. Love the green!

GregC likes this.
  9. Nice review. I feel the same way about mine. I am still interested in the Dub King as well.

For stings I liked the ones that came with the bass but decided I needed to cut through the mix a little bit more and installed GHS Boomers. I like the boomers on this bass a lot but they are getting slightly old and I'm strongly considering some LaBella flats for my next strings. I think they would work well for a new project.

10. Multiverse84

Multiverse84

Mar 22, 2017
    One point I missed! Balance/neck dive.

I started as a guitarist, so my standards for what feels balanced is a bit different than a bassist-first bass player. All of the reviews I've read say that it's perfectly balanced and there is no neck dive. Well compared to a typical bass, yes, it feels pretty balanced. But compared to a good Stratocaster, you can certainly feel it wanting to tip towards the neck a hint. So since a lot of guitarists gravitate towards SS basses, be forewarned: It's just about as good as you can get, but as balanced a solidbody electric guitar it is not.

11. Low Down Brown

Low Down Brown Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    So, you folks still liking those Laklands? I'm trying to decide between the Dubking and the HB 30...would like to hear some more opinions now that you've had a few years to get to play them. Anyone had the chance to do a comparison with a Dubking?

ComeHomeShane likes this.
  12. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    Anyone who has had one of these for awhile, still liking it? Any complaints?

13. Multiverse84

Multiverse84

Mar 22, 2017
    Been using the Lakland live every weekend for two years now. Love this thing. Had a chance to spend some time with a Running at NAMM and love it too. I was surprised how different it felt, both in terms of sound and the neck. It was a bit growlier and felt like it could thump a tad more, but I don't mean to say that I liked it more or less than the Lakland hollowbody 30. Just made me wish I had one of those too.

I will say that after using the Lakland for a lot of home studio demos, and then comparing that sound to demos I made with a borrowed rogue violin bass with flatwounds, I still love a good violin bass over all. I have found that I prefer the Lakland live, and my SS Jaguar or a violin bass for recording. Depending if I want round thumping McCartney tone, or a more fender style tone.

Hope this helps.

Low Down Brown likes this.
  14. Low Down Brown

Low Down Brown Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    I ended up with a Dub King. I got such a great deal on it that I couldn't pass it up. I put a set of GHS Pressurewounds on it and it is an absolute beast. As someone mentioned earlier, it was a bit brighter than I thought it would be, but after the strings broke in a bit, it really mellowed out. Pick sounds great. Finger style sounds great. Throw a foam mute under the strings and it gets a great old school vibe. I'm happy with it, but I still wouldn't mind a chance to take the HB30 for a spin.

15. I’ve had mine for 4.5 years. Still use it regularly, though I have some other short scales in regular rotation too.

Main complaints are lack of thumb rest and that the tone is overall kind of dark. I’ve got rounds on mine now and it is still a little dark in the mix. I’m thinking on putting some stainless steel strings in it.