Lakland Hollowbody Hubba Hubba

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by salsjag, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Lakland Hollowbody

I just bought a used Lakland Hollowbody and wanted to share what I think is a beautiful guitar with you all. I haven't had a chance to really play the thing yet but I just love the smooth mellow tone this exeudes.
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Cool! I've got the Skyline version in gold, but that Sherwood Green is just beautiful!

3. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
  4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I'm not a big fan of green but that one is a looker. Low notes with a little bit of air, there's nothin better.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's a tasty looking Skittle.
  6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got a Skyline in red and I'm absolutely besotted with it. I can't imagine anyone selling one. You're a lucky boy!
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    a great looking bass

would love to try one....
  8. Keith Mosley, the bassist for String Cheese Incident, had one of those sitting on stage at Bonnaroo this year in Red...I was hoping he'd play it, but I guess it was just the back up to his 55-94
  9. steal-o-matic

Apr 11, 2004
    the gold and green looks mighty nice
  10. Ben Kinny (spelling?) from Incubus uses one in their newest video, Talk Shows on Mute.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congads on such a cool axe, great color too. How are the barts, i have never heard them in a hollow body bass?.
  12. I saw Incubus live last saturday and Ben Kenney played a shoreline gold hollowbody for a couple songs. I could feel major mojo from that thing! Also, i got to play a U.S. hollowbody at Bass Central this past january...i fell in love with the things thick, meaty, yet refined and all around sweet tone. I love the thing!
  13. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Major Metal--I should preface this by saying that I have had Barts in several basses and never really been SOLD on them (these included their Lakland 55-02 p/u's, 44-02 p/u's, Thunderbird/LP bass replacements et. al.). The Hollowbody Barts are amazing. I think part of it is the passive configuration without a preamp. Don't get me wrong, active circuits are cool, but with the vibe of the HB it's nice to be able to just use the tone pots and coil split to vary the tone (that and I like being able to leave my bass plugged in through an entire church service without unplugging or worrying about battery life).

It's hard to describe the tone of any pickup, but I have tried my HB with both flat and roundwound strings and the pickups are dark and mellow with flats. Think of just about every hollowbody tone and then some with the coil split. The upper register cuts and sings while the low is deep and rootsy. With rounds, the pickups get really growly and jazz bass-like and remind me of my passive Gibson Les Paul bass. It's hard to describe, but I always felt like Barts were too clean/hi fi for my playing, but the p/us in my HB fit my playing and the tone in my ear to a tee. I'm a major gasser, but can safely say I will never sell my Hollowbody. :hyper:

Very cool , thanks. I used my Epiphone Jack Casady as my main 4 string Church bass, arent semi hollows great for this kind of music.
  15. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Yes, they are. With the HB, I usually have both pickups on and back off the tone. For straight up hymns I solo the neck and either split the coils, solo the bridge or favor the bridge for a more 'contemporary' tone. My HB is the Inca Silver and EVERYONE comments about how beautiful it looks (if only they found my playing as beautiful). :rolleyes:
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yo! NICE pickup my friend....did you find it down here in FL or up in NYC???

Bringin' it in to visit me anytime soon???? :D
  17. weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    I really like the Deluxe Tabacco Sunburst finish, but the Classic Candy Apple Red Metallic is so good that I'm not sure what the extra money is for.

I think the Lakland Hollowbody is one of the most beautiful basses that I've ever seen. It has such a classic elegance to it. That bass could make any color finish look good.

Salsjag, congrats on your purchase. If you see another used one for sale, be sure to share the wealth and send me a PM! ;)

Any feed back at higher volumes?.
  19. Lakland Hollowbody

Well after experimenting with my new bass and playing it at rehersal last night here is my opinion on the Hollowbody. First, when I received it, it looked fantastic. But the bass didn't have the sound and feel that I expected in fact I was a little disappointed. The bass arrived in prestine condition from a great guy in WI.. It came with a set of Maxima Gold roundwound strings (.045 - .100) that the say are actually plated with 24 carat gold. The bass looked and felt great. The set up was also great but the tone was just OK. Nothing great, and not much different from what I could get from my Jazz, P-bass or R- Bass. I couldn't get much flexibility in the tone either. I then replaced the Maxima strings with a set of Labella Flatwounds. While these strings didn't look as cool as the gold Maxima"s the sound was absolutely incredible. I was also amazed at the amont of variations in tone I could get. I don't know about you folks but I feel the tone variations on a passive guitar is quite limited but not on this one. The best way to describe the tone is to quote a line from Will Smith in Men In Black " NOW THAT"S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT" The lows are deep with a lot of warmth and spaciality (if that is a word) and are surprisingly defined. The mid's are magnificent and the high's smooth as silk. I was also surprised to hear people say how much the bass cut through the mix. We play a combination Beatles, Pretendars, Benatar and Classic Rock & Blues. Not only does this bass sound and feel great but I found that if you play up by the neck pickup and cut the bridge pickup up you can get a sound that is a lot like a Hoefner which is great for Beatles.

I know this is getting a little long and sounds like a Lakland advertisment but this bass is really different in sound and feel and I guarantee if you like this kind of tone and you play one, you will eventualy own one. The only negitive I can think of is I don't think it would be good for hard Rock or Metal.

Someone asked the question about feed back. I didn't have any problem at all. I did hear some feed back if I got within 6" of the speaker but HEY, if you play that close you probably can't hear anything any way.

I think this is going to be my main ax. At least for now.