Lakland hollowbody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeLorean, Feb 16, 2004.

1. I had the chance to check out one of the Lakland hollowbody basses (while picking up my HexaBuzz). The first thing that stood out was the incredible candy apple red finish, one could get lost in that. The neck pickup is right up to the neck, almost Gibsonesque (placement and sound). The bridge pickup is about in the 'sweet spot'. There are volume and tone controls for each pickup, a preamp switch and a pickup selector switch. The neck pickup gets (quite) a bit more "hollow" sounding than the bridge, but both offer useable and interesting sound and work well together in the center switch position. The amp and cabs were an SWR 350X and a pair of Son of Berthas (1x15), basically flat, and it seemed to like that setup. These are definately worth a look if you are looking for a hollowbody electric.
  2. i played one last july at the lakland factory in chicago. it was a really nice bass, but i just couldn't get over the flatwounds on it. i think roundwounds would've given it the kind of vibe i was hoping for from it.

nice bass, but i don't GAS for it anymore, which is a good thing.

3. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    That's the biggest source of gas I have right now. Mmmmm, hollowbody. Before the end of the year I hope to have one.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i love those things. I saw on basscentral's website that there might be hollowbodies in the skyline series? Anyone else know if this is true?
  5. you are correct, sir. bass player reviewed them recently, but they don't have the review online. they had also reviewed a skyline darryl jones.

6. Here's the link to the Bass Player magazine review of the Darryl Jones
    and the hollowbody:
  7. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    How much are these basses going for?
  8. You will have to check with a dealer, Lakland has the MSRP on their site but that isn't the price they generally sell for.

The switch I thought was a preamp switch is actually a series/parallel switch. The volume difference was dramatic between the two, but there is no onboard preamp. Sorry about that...
  9. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks. They are alot more expensive than I thought they would be.....even below MSRP.
  10. Steve Whitman

Steve Whitman

Sep 4, 2000
    I've got a US Hollowbody Deluxe. I've had it a couple of months now, but my band has not worked much lately so I haven't got in much stage time. I love it with TI Jazz Flats, but I like them on all my basses. Its got a big round tone with good definition - something hollows are not generally noted for.
    The smaller switch is actually single coil/humbucker and affects both pu's. Skyline Hollowbodies just began shipping in the last week or two. You should be able to get one for around $1200 or a little less street price - case and shipping extra. I'm not a dealer, no affiliation with Lakland, just a very happy customer.