Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland in a Latin/Jazz band--Please help new to forum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Little Cricket, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Hi
    I'm new here and this is my first post outside of my introduction in the noob area. I've been playing bass for about a year and a half even though I've been in music all my life. My problem is, I own a 55-02 that I absolutely love the feel and tension and string spacing and balance, however, when I play it with a loud band such as a latin/salsa type deal, the bass does not cut through. Even with a loud electric guitarist I feel that I am really fighting and not sailing through. I search the archives on this great website (good info and everything, btw) and found some people talking about puting Seymor Duncans in the 55-02. I was definitely intrigued and would like to know more. I would like an aggressive musicman type sound, but I do'nt want my lakland to become a "one-trick pony" as some describe the SR5. Please help. OH, and also what is the cost of changing the barts out for the SDs. Thanks

2. what are you using for an amp and speakers?

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You may want to look at your amp and speakers also. I have a 55-02 that I use in a gospel setting with a 10-20 member choir, keyboards, and drums that cuts through superbly even though it has Bartolinis.

I heard the price for swapping Barts for Duncans is $400, but e-mail Lakland. The boss man himself, Lakin, will most likely answer you. If you determine that you need new pups, you may also want to check out Laklands new inhouse pups that are supposed to be in the middle ground between the Barts and the Duncans.

4. thanks Dr Cheese for the pricing info, and to answer both your and thehurlatron's question, I have an SWR goliath 3 which I power through a Hartke 7000. Do you guys think it might be my amp head or cab, or both???

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm not familiar with your cab. What are it's speakers. I also want to know how do you set your tone controls on your bass itself when you are playing?

6. Your amp and cab seems like a good match to me, although I hear the SWR III is a bit scooped in the mids. I would recommend (if you haven't already) boosting the mids on you lakland and on the hartke a bit. Make sure you're graphic EQ does NOT look like a smiley face.

At full volume in a loud band mix, you'll need extra mids to cut through.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1 for no smiley face EQ.

8. Bingo. I do have a slight smiley on my amp eq. What do you guys recommend that I set it at?? and also what settings should I use on the guitar? I also just bought a sans amp bass driver. Do you guys have any experience with it and helping get more of an aggressive sound. Thanks again. You guys are quick and the info is great.

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    One additional thing for you to consider: I believe there is an internal dip switch on the 55-02 that allows you to select a midrange frequency to boost. I think one of the choices is 500Hz-I think that's the one you want to boost. I don't own a 55-02, but I'm sure someone here has one and can provide more details. Good luck!

:bassist:

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Default is 500hz.

Just unscrew the back plate where the wiring is.
    There are instructions on how to use the mid dip switches.

Makes a big difference. For cutting through and power, I like 750hz.

That said, I don't have a 55-02 anymore, but they are great basses. If I were to keep it I would have gotten the SD installed. They will do exactly what you need as far as making it more aggressive.

11. thanks kobass. I actually did find that switch and messed around with it a litte. I called my lakland store in Hollywood and the guy there did not know anything about it. I did a search on this forum (once again, wow, this forum is awesome) and someone else said for more music man sound they set it at 800 I think, but I am open to all options and will try them all. Will we are on topic, in the back of the lakland there is also a knob type thing that can be adjusted with a standard screw driver, I think it is the preamp out put. Would I want that cranked all the way up? When I pull the passive/active switch on this guitar, in passive mode it is very weak. Is that common of the 55-02 or is somthing worng with mine. Thanks again

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The weak passive output is typical Lakland.

13. thnks dr cheese. good to know that my guitar is fine and not flwed

14. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Set you amp up with a flat graphic and then try boosting around 125Hz and 1Khz and 2Khz a little. Also be prepared for it to sound better live than practising on your own

15. thanks stox and everyone for all the info. i have a lot of tweaking to do when I get home. I appreciate everything. thanks

16. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You should be able to get the desired results by tweaking the internal preamp mid control and by getting rid of the smiley on your amp eq. Boost those mids!

If that doesn't do it for you, I would strongly suggest the new Lakland pickups and pre. I had the chance to test it out against a standard Bartolini setup at the Lakland factory and the Lakland electronics are super versatile, and should cut really well.
    Best of Luck.

17. Ckricket, for sure set that internal switch to 750 Hz and give it some mid boost and it should cut through well. DR SUnbeams ( Or D'Addario nickels in SL length ) help as well.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Agreed! I briefly owned a 55-01 and the output was weak! I just used the passive input on my amp and viola!!

19. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    It's amazing what a little proper eqing can do. Lots of good advice here.

20. thanks everyone for keeping the comments coming in. I did set the switch at 750 and changed the strings to DRs and I got rid of the smiley on the amp, I'm just waiting for my next big gig to try it out. thanks all