Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland in Australia

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oliver, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    OK i live in Perth, Western Australia,
    now Laklands are beautiful basses but over here man they cost a sh**load, i can get a 55- 01 from music123 for about 699 USD, So for about one aussie grand i can have one shipped to my door including a hardcase from the states.
    Got a couple shops here that sell them anywhere from $1849 AUD up to $2500 AUD.

What the hell is going on?

And aussies, you notice this round your area?

cheers

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    It'll probably cost a bit more than a grand to get it shipped in. Sent a Tele down here that was about the same price, ended up 1.25 grand or something.

3. yup... it's pretty sucky... but then, if you're looking at buying two decent basses, it would be cheaper to fly to America and take a couple of old and worn flight cases, buy your basses, and then fly them back, possibly forgetting to declare them. Never done it, don't reccomend it... but I imagine you could save some dollars. ;)

4. trust me, i whinge about this all the time, especially on the price of stingrays $3400 :eek: .....but when i was selling my kubicki (until i got the trade offer) i was gonna get a stingray from the states and it was gonna cost me $1400aus for a brand new one posted...

check brian barret of www.thelowend.net ....i traded my old kubicki for a ksd jazz 5er..great guy too..he had a few 2nd hand laki's there a little back, i wouldnt mind a nice skyline 44-02

5. This is one of the major reasons, I only play cheap stuff here in Oz...it is all I can afford.

Family is making a trip back to Pittsburgh soon, to visit my relatives. I'm bringing back my P-bass for sure...and will definitely have a look at a couple other things while I am there.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The costs and process of importing basses I've outlined a couple of times recently. It's not quite as cheap as it first seems.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2226779&postcount=17

It's simply the economic facts of life. Importers and distributors have similar costs for importing basses (+all the other overheads of running a business), a bit cheaper because they may do it in greater numbers. But for something as uncommon and as hard to sell as a Lakland, the numbers would still be few and not a lot of shops would want to have one hanging on their walls for an extended period of time due to the money tied up in it that could be in other stock that will move faster.