lakland in boston?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spots, Apr 9, 2004.

1. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Im currently gassing over a lakland 55-02...
    from what i've read in various searches in the forums they seem to be great basses with a great value. The problem is that I haven't been able to try on out yet. I live in boston and I've called GC on comm ave, in natick, and danvers, as well as daddy's on mass ave, cambridge music, rock city guitars, and boston guitar works. The only thing i can find is a skyline JO5 at
    GC comm ave and a 55-01 at BGW. I'm reluctant to make the trip to brockton to try the 55-01 b/c i think its tone would be too bright and MMish for my style (groove funk, with light slap, and jazz) Does anyone know of any hidden jems (stores) where i can find a lakland 55-02. Should I just wait until something pops up? opt for the 55-01? Are laklands rare in boston? It seems that way to me because most of the people I called were utterly confused when I mentioned the brand... Thx for replies
    ~spots :bassist:
  2. Did you ask Boston Guitar Works if they anticipate getting a 55-02 in stock soon? I bought a 55-02 from BGW about a year ago, and every time I've been by since they had a 55-02 and a decent selection of Skyline and USA Laklands. Their shop is only a half and hour or so south of the city.

The 55-02 is probably more MMish than the 55-01, because it has a MM-inspired humbucker in the bridge position. I'd recommend trying both models when you're able, and then make a decision. If you're GASing for the 55-02, I'd certainly hold out until you can play one. I played several of both models before choosing the 55-02. To me the USA Barts and 3-band preamp sounded far superior to the 55-01's pickups and preamp.

Good luck. My bro and I love to haunt the guitar stores in eastern Massachusetts, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.
  3. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    I made the trip down to boston guitar works today and was able to try out a 44-02. It felt great and had a nice growly tone. Definetely one of the nicer 4's I've played (i haven't played very many tho). To anyone who owns/ has played both a 44-02 and 55-02, does the 55-02 have a similar feel to the 44-02? Thx. still looking for a 55-02 to try...
  4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Just order one sight unseen. You know you wont be dissapointed.