1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland info needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birminghambass, Mar 11, 2008.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Looking for sound clips of a 4402, 5502 or their USA brothers with Seymour Duncan or other exposed pole pickups. I love the look and feel of these basses but I'm not a fan of the Barts or Lakland pickups.

2. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Ok, no clips, how about opinions on the Lakland/duncan setup?

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I like the laklands. My myspace site has videos of the LAkland pickups. So I can't help on your pickup choices

4. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    ???

5. A very small percentage of the Lakland basses have the Seymour option. Dan no longer recommends it. I swapped the Bart's for Seymours in my 55-94 that I owned a while back.

The good news: I agree with you.. it looked awesome, and the tone was much brighter, growlier, sizzlier than the Bart pickups.... however, more 'Geddy Lee' than 'Marcus Miller', if that makes sense.

The bad news: The volume balance between the J and MM pickup was off... with the MM being louder. However, you could 'fix' this with the blend control. Also, the MM when coil tapped was true single coil... so depending on the blend, you could get some hum.

If you like the exposed pole pieces, IMO the Nordstrand MM/J pickups would probably be a bette option. Someone recently did this and had good luck. The Nord pickups would be brighter and a touch grittier than the new Lakland pickups, and I believe the MM has that phantom coil thing for humcancelling operation when tapped.

Try searching the pickup part of the site... I think that's where it was posted.

K

6. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks for the info KJung! Anyone else with a Nord or Duncan equiped Lakland?

7. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    I replaced the Barts on my 55-02 with Duncans. the sound went from "polite sweet midrange" to "stingray-cut". I haven´t regretted a bit. No soundclips yet, but maybe sometime in the future (too busy at work right now)...

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I have Duncans on my 55-94. I wouldn't play a Lakie with another type of p'up. I like them that much.

9. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I will be swapping the Barts in my 55-94 for Nordies in the coming weeks. I also have the ability to record clips at home, so I will be putting something up to listen to as soon as the work is done. Keep tabs on the thread that is in the Pickups section, and I'll post something there when I can.

10. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    i'm looking to swap from Barto to SD/Bassline after trying the Lakland whole system...

1- Did you have to "route" your bass to fit the Bassline 5 string MM pickup? cause the pickup cover doesn't have the same confirguration? ( the ears for the screw if you get what i mean....)

2- did you have to the SD preamp too or you stayed with the Bart preamp?

11. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    1. No. I ordered my SD´s from Lakland when they were a option. Covers were like the ones on the Barts (with the "ears"). You can´t drop in standard MM pickups because of different string spacing (MM 18mm vs. Lakie 19mm). I don´t know if SD still has Lakland pickups in stock, you´d better contact them...

2. I stayed with Bart pre. Possibly switching to a SD (or something else) later... I´m not tweaking the pre really, I´m happy with the sound "as is"...