1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lakland J style bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rycebag, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    as I was reading bass player magazine i came across a picture of a lakland that was a 35inch scale 4 string and i was wondering what the model name of it was because i've been wanting a lakland that is a 35inch scale and a 4 string and the model isn't posted n there site.

2. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I think Lakland made a few 35" 4s, but they are not offered as standard runs. All Lakland 5s, including the Joe Osborn "Jazz" are 35" scale. Lakland has been known to make one-off instruments, though. Try e-mailing leo@lakland.com and see if they'd do a 35" scale JO 4 string.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Lakland will do a 35" scale 4-string.
    It's for players who like to tune down BEAG.
    It's not standard, and maybe a option ($$$)

4. bamba22

bamba22 Commercial User

Dec 24, 2009
    owner of beginner-bass-guitar.com
    Lakland have an amazing basses...

5. Matt Power

Matt Power

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I wish they'd bring back the 4-63...same body as the 4-94, but with 2 J pickups. That in CAR with a pearloid guard...yum!

6. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I think the bass is called a Lakland XS but I could be wrong. It is not on their site but they will make you one.

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    You are right Johnny!

I saw a Decade XS at the shop the other day....pics here:

http://www.laklandowners.com/joomla...c=view&catid=3&id=9768&limit=20&limitstart=20

the coral colored one down the page a bit...

they WILL make them....as an option ($$$).

either way...Lakland makes GREAT J basses....if you want a Std 35" scale - get a 5 string....ALL 5 string Lakies are 35".....and I am SURE you will find a use for the B string!!

8. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    Yeah that would be cool if they could do that

9. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    I think that's the one. I seen one in what looked to be lake placid blue and another in shoreline gold with th 2 j pickups. Anyone know how that model sounds compared to a JO?

10. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    Whow, you're way to much of a ben kenney fan!! :)

11. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    They have to be really close. The pickup placement looks the same. The difference though be the pickups though. He uses Joe Barden pickups. The Gold one uses Chi-Sonic pickups, so it should sound like the JO CS.

88988484.jpg

I've seen a CAR one too with standard Jazz pickus. He has Joe Osborns, Bob Glaubs, etc. Lots of Laklands.

12. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks for the input, I've just been playing a friends fender jazz
    that is a 35inch scale and I was really digging that over the short.
    So when I seen those laklands I was surprised because I didn't know
    they made 4 stringers with a 35scale. Wish i thought of that before I got my lakland

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020