Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland JO, 4 or 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Dec 29, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm looking for a second bass and I'm really considering a Lakland JO.

My main bass in a Ric 4003 and I want something a little different to play jazz/big band type music (Keeping the ric for straight up rock and roll!).

I'd like to try a 5 but I'm afraid it will screw with my technique and playing style.

Should I just go for the 4 to keep the same scale and strings or make changes more drastic and go with a 5er for a completley different approach?

2. newchibass

newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Chicago
    I would go for a 4. The 35" scale is a bit much for me on my lakland 5, so I just ordered a JO 4.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

After 20+ years of playing fours it took me a couple of months to get comfy on five, but I'm delighted that I took the chance... I like fiver so much that I no longer play four. But that's just me... plenty of bassists play fours and fives (and sixes and sevens, etc). I could still play four if I really wanted to.

I have smallish hands and didn't think 35" scale was a big deal, but as noted, some people can't get comfy on 35".

4. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    i fell right into a 5,felt natural to me and i had never even played one,i have a roscoe beck 5.

5. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Is the string spacing between the DJ4 and DJ5 the same?

6. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    Yes i believe it is is the same,check lakland.com,but the figerboard on the 5 is flatter.

7. I wouldn't "fret" a 5. The only problems I've had are muting ( which you have to be very conscious of on a 5) and the "breaking -in" of my right hand pinky which had never seen so much "action" on my 34" 4 string.

It's only a few notes, but hitting a low C or D at a song's end is just cool.

8. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Muting that 5th is in fact may main fear.

I dont want to be unintentionally hitting a very low note :)

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

How much do I love five? Let me count the ways... :)

For emphasis (i.e. used carefully) I love building octaves off of the B string, whether above or below low E. Phat city!

It's cool to play either fretted or open low E.

It's convenient to play in F minor using the 6th fret of the B string.

Not last and definitely not least: the original poster mentioned playing jazz. Well, jazz can involve a lot of flat keys, Eb in particular. A fiver is a blessing in those situations.

I could keep going, but you get the idea...

10. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I think you just sold me on the 5.

Any good Lakland on line dealers?

11. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    BTW,

Is the DJ made in Korea or the US?

12. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    If it is a skyline, it is made in Korea. As for dealers, there are a multitude out there.

I just PM'd you my recommendation for dealer.

13. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Yes. They are both .75 inches at the bridge.

14. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    There are many. However, there are at least two Lakland dealers (that I know of) who are also members of TalkBass: Jong Lee at Jive Sound and of course Steve "Dude" Barr at www.vintagebass.com.

If there are other Lakland dealers here that I'm not aware of, feel free to PM me.

15. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    My main bass right now is also a 4003 and while I consider myself pretty good at adapting (did I mention I play a 4003?), the inch and three-quarters scale length difference between the Rick and the JO 5 is something that definitely doesn't go unnoticed.

That said, I'd still recommend the five-string JO over the four. You obviously already have a four string bass, and there are lots of situations where a five can be particularly useful. Who knows, you may even want to switch to fivers altogether, like Fuzzbass.

Even though I'm not as quick at getting around on my JO 5, it's still the only five-string bass I haven't flipped pretty quickly. I love it. The 35-inch scale may well be why this one's better than the others I've had.

16. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Muting the B string is one of the primary reasons I switched back to 4-string from a five. That annoying sound as my finger hits the B after striking the E string....I wasn't even aware of it at first, but once it caught my ear I couldn't get passed it. Perhaps better technique could fix it but I've been playing this way for almost 30 years....

The other reason is that slapping the E string was a lot tougher. Another problem that better technique could deal with but is it worth it?

Lastly, the 35" scale was a small issue. Not a real problem but a little less comfortable than 34".

All in all I decided that, given the above hassles, fours are more fun! And that's what it's all about for me.

Now I'm tuning down to DGCF to get the E flat and D too. Try it with some heavy gauge strings to retain string tension. It may save you from buying a pricey 5-string.