Lakland JO and Darryl Jones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Apr 21, 2004.

1. I've been thinking about getting a nice jazz bass lately and the lakland skyline JO and darryl jones both look really nice. the JO has lindy fralin pickups and the Darryl Jones has aero pickups. I have never played these basses so I looking for some info on the differences in how they sound.
  2. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    I've played them both. The JO is definitely more 'old-school' Jazz sounding, and the DJ has more of a hi-fi sound, with extended lows and highs. They both sounded great, but I liked the DJ better, personally. Those Aeros almost sound active. The DJ also had a lighter, more comfortable body IMO. The binding and block inlays were sweet, too. I want one. :)
  3. Cairobill

Dec 15, 2003

i was searching for a good jazz bass and spent hours in my local shop going through every available jazz right from Sadowskys down through to a Fender MIM Jazz...

I was looking for the classic jazz tone so quickly discounted active boutique jazzes which sounded far too sparkly for what I wanted. The test (about 15 basses) came down to 2 basses, the Daryl Jones Skyline and a sunburst Fender American Standard Jazz. While the DJ has more of an ergonomic feel to the body and a pronounced 'flat' fretboard (hi radius?) that makes your fingers really fly, the pickups give you a bit of a hifi vibe that takes you away from the classic jazz tone. There wasn't a Joe Osborn in the shop unfortunately...

In the end I chose a Fender Jazz because it does what it says on the tin and none of the replicas I tried could do it 'exactly' right. I would also like to add that the Fender I eventually bought is very well made...better than the Skyline I tried which had a couple of problems with its finish (it also weighed a ton...)

4. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Anyone have any sound clips of the Lakland JO or DJ? I've been trying to look for some lately, but I haven't had any luck. :(
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I have played both in the same shop with same amp. I agree with what said, DJ is more full sounding. I preferred this.
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Bump... I'm mainly interested in hearing the JO, but I wouldn't mind hearing the DJ either. ;)
  7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I wish they made a DJ in 5 string. I think that would be a major hit. Any plans for such a beast?
  8. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Yup, apparently they're working on one right now. Here are a few pictures of one. Though I'm not sure if they have set a release date for them yet.
  9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    According to Lakland website :

"We'll let you know when the Darryl Jones Skyline 5 will be ready for delivery. In the meantime, watch the site for the release of the NEW Darryl Jones US-Made models! These are due in late spring 2004."

Should be pretty soon...
  10. hanawayl

Feb 19, 2004
    Hey dudes, I've got some clips of several Lakland basses. I've got the Lakland/Musicman shootout cd on ebay and I recently spent time at the shop in Chicago working on some new sound clips that will eventually end up on their website. I've got some posts on the Dudepit but if anyone would like a few clips let me know. Feel free to check out the disk too, lots of good stuff (Aero v Fralin, 02 v 94, maple v rosewood, etc.) I'll be heading back to Lakland soon to finish up some work with JO5 retro and some Duncan basses so let me know if anyone is interested in anything specific. My email is