Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland JO flats--stretch 'em or not?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Do Lakland Joe Osborn flats need to be stretched?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I never have. I throw them on and play, and they stay in tune.
    Doc

3. Sweet.

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If by "stretching" you mean pulling them up away from the fingerboard for a moment, I think pretty much all strings need that -- but then it's my humble opinion that you're not really stretching the strings per se, you're actually pulling the slack off the tuning peg string barrels.

5. Well, it's a moot point--I need a slappable bass and these aren't strings for slappers (too thumpy), so I'm gonna save 'em for three or four years until I can get a nice 34" J-style 5-string.

6. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps this is a good time to consider why you need a slappable bass, Peter. It's a truly ugly sounding party trick, very rarely done musically, and there are thousands of people out there doing it right....now. You could be the one guy at Cornell who refuses to slap...the Anthony Jackson of the Ivy league. I'm just messing with you, of course (except for the part about not slapping).

7. I only need it for one song, but it's the coolest song in my band's book, and wouldn't sound right played fingerstyle or with a pick.