1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Lakland JO Fretless - Modded

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by CapnSev, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I have had this for several months now, but you know I just can't get along with J basses so I don't even know why I try.

Here's the original description:

"I've got a Fretless Lakland JO 4 String for sale. This one is a 2007 so it's during the time they were made in Korea. It has some modifications that were made before I got it and I don't have any of the original parts. That said, I really like the mods. It has had the tuner's replaced with Hipshot ultralight lollipop tuners, and has EMG JV pickups. It also has gotten a tortoise shell pick guard and a bone nut. It's ebony fretboard is still in outstanding condition as I believe it has always worn flats. I cant find a mark on this bass and the finish is better looking to me than that on most other skylines I've seen plus the wood has a very strong grain which looks killer with the sunburst."

Right now it is strung with LaBella "white" tapes, light gauge. I will send the TI flats that came on it as well as some Fender flats I tried for about a day. The fingerboard is still perfect, in fact I bought a radius block and slightly sanded it down to get the action perfect on it.

There are no dents or dings anywhere, just minor scratches - less than you'd see on a typical bass hanging on a store wall.

$950 shipped

The only trades that interest me would be a USA SUB Stingray (run it past me), a Tony Franklin Fretless, or a fretless Stingray.

IMG_2520_zps1e53e981.

IMG_2526_zpsa8892454.

IMG_2527_zps9d56e43d.

2. BigDBass

BigDBass PWIYB!

Pretty!
    Are the EMGs active?
    What's the weight?
    Is a case or bag included?

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Great questions.

The EMGs are active, but they're not the EMGs that you're used to. Kind of on the darker side with a lot of bottom. I really like them a lot.

I don't know what the weight is offhand, I can check on a bathroom scale later. I'd guess its not quite 10 lbs.

It will be shipped in the Fender gig bag that I got it in, and the same box. I don't have a hard case for it.

4. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    This used to be mine! I added the cover and the lollipops. Seriously one of my all time favorite fretlesses. I may need it back...

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I made it play real nice for ya....

6. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

The previous guy thought it never had rounds, but I tried a few that sounded phenomenal. When I sold it, it wore d addario half rounds and sounded SO GOOD. I recorded a few songs with that bass...

http://danmariska.bandcamp.com/album/7

Track #2 & #3 feature this bass. There's also a b-side track featuring this bass ...which is my favorite recording of the three... I'll have to throw it on soundcloud.

Listen to the songs with headphones because 1) parental advisory at the beginning of track #2 (and #4 if you decide to listen to it...) and the bass will be easier to hear. Notice on how track #2 it has a FAT thumpy thud in the verses that holds up the guitars. It's my favorite tone of the entire EP.

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
  8. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I have a Korean JO5 with an Indo fretless neck....if you like a J mwah....this is the bass for you!

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    ^ Absolutely.

10. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Still missing this amazing bass. It has, by the way, an upgraded bone nut that I had installed by an excellent luthier here in MN. I've had him do 3 bone nut upgrades, and I'll have him do a 4th soon!

11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    It is an amazing bass indeed. My brain just goes into overload with more than one pickup, I am a simpleton.

12. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Photos of the back of the neck and body would be great, if available.

13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    More pictures as requested:

IMG_2556_zpscf3ee26b.

There is a lot of glare at the bottom, those are not scratches.

IMG_2558_zps4f9e5d30.

IMG_2555_zpsc201ea18.

IMG_2557_zpsa65e7d2e.

14. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Thanks so much for posting those photos. What a great 2 pc. wood match in that body. Among the nicest Skyline bods I've seen.

15. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Its probably the nicest body I've seen on any bass that I've ever owned. My photo skills don't do it justice!

16. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Scale length and nut width, please.

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene

1.5" at the nut, 34" scale. Typical jazz bass stuff.

18. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Cool skyline. Wish I needed a fretless!

19. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Thanks for the compliments!

20. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    come on people!!! a better Jazz "bassed" fretless you will not find....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.