Lakland JO5 vs. DJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by opium89, Feb 21, 2006.

1. opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    Anyone have an opinion here? I would like to hear what you think are the biggest differences between them. We know they have different pups but what about a sound comparison? Also curious about the playability between them.
  2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've found that the DJ really nails the 70's jazz sound, and
    has a rounder more C shaped neck. The JO is sweeter, with
    a more 60's jazz sound. It has more of a D, or slightly
    flatter neck. The DJ sounds very similar to my Fender am
    dlx bass, with no eq. The newer american deluxe basses
    sound and feel very 70's untill you use the active eq. Then
    you have a much larger tonal palate. I prefer the JO5 for me.
  3. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I am thinking about purchasing a JO5 but would love to hear some clips too.
  4. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Both sit in the mix really well, but the Aero pickups of the DJ are definitely more aggressive, while the JO is sweeter. If you're doing any slapping, the DJ, in my opinion, is better suited.
  5. opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    The specs on the necks are damn close. I actually prefer a more aggressive pickup and a flatter neck so maybe the DJ is right up my alley. I played a JO4 a few years ago and was shocked at how nice the neck was. Haven't seen a DJ in person yet but I will keep my eyes open for one in town.
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
  7. I've got a DJ-5, though it has the Lindy Fralin pickups that are usually in the JO basses so it should sound just like a JO and feel/look just like a DJ. Feels great, I love the neck. It's a pretty simmilar shape as my KL, just a little thicker.

I'm recording bass for a cover song ("Ain't no stopping us now" by McFadden and Whitehead) with the DJ-5 which I'll post here in a few days when it's done. Sounds killer so far - the bass sits in the mix really well. :)
  8. Cool. Please do post it in a few days.

I have ordered a White DJ-5 with maple fingerboard with Fralin pickups instead of the Aero's. I love the looks of the DJ and the sound of the JO, so this would be a perfect match for me!
  9. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

I owned both. Sold one to my roomate (the JO5) because he fell in love with it. Awesome sounding bass and I still wish I had it, but I gave it to him instead of rent last month. :D
    Check out some of his recordings at the song "Like a Drug" has a really awesome sound that the JO5 can get.

I really like the DJ5. It took a while to grow on me, as i've always liked basses that sound inherently "Sweeter" but its aggressive nature really grew on me.
  10. opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    It would be very cool to have sound samples for each if these basses. Any takers?
  11. Ok, here's a full length soundclip:

This is a rough mix of the song but the tone of this bass really shines here :) . This was recorded with both pickups and tone full on, direct with a bit of compression. Enjoy!!!
  12. opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    Groovy! Thanks for doing that...Any takers on the JO?
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the DJ.
  14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The one thing I'll say about my DJ (besides that I really LOVE it!) is that when I put some Lakland nickel strings on, it completely sucked the life out of the bass.

On other basses, nickel strings are great, but on the DJ, for reasons I can't fathom, they stole its mojo. I guess the aggressive Aero pickups are its strength, and nickel is like kryptonite for them.
  15. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I've had a chance to play both of them with the J-Retro preamp and to me both of them were "hitt'en on all cylinders. I've ordered a white DJ5,but I still may get a JO5 because they're realy that good as far as J type basses go.
  16. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006

My next bass purchase will be a TTS RW JO5 w/ J-Retro to go along with my white RW DJ5, which is my current bass of choice.
  17. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I have the JO5 your looking for, while my next bass will be the DJ5 that you have. :bassist: