Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Joe Osborn 5 Skyline, $975 shipped

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Larry Kaye, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Lakland Joe Osborn Skyline 5..$975 shipped. Bass is brand new. Rosewood fingerboard, sleek for a 5, tight b, nice action, Lake Placid Blue with white pickguard, Dunlap Straplocks, two volumes, master tone, really has the jazz bass sound down with a tight B string added. Lightweight, I'll include a Warwick gig bag like new.

This bass has less than 4 hours playing time on it. It's just two weeks in my possession. I had a trade fall apart on me and am totally strapped for cash. I'll also be listing a great F Bass BN5 over the next day or so too. If interested let me know. Price not established yet on that one.

Asking $975 for the Osborn and will include shipping and insurance, lower 48 states only. Save yourself $100 and get a bass that's tough to find in the stores and nicer playing, and sounding in my opinion than any other Jazz like bass costing hundreds more.

Warrantee card included. If you're serious I'll take and send you pictures today.

thanks for lookin'

Larry Kaye
    bassmohn@hotmail.com

2. gotta have pix....

3. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    A picture

4. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    more pics:

5. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    one more

6. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    another

7. Seems like a good price, but I'm gonna have to pass.

Mark

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have a 2000 EB MM StingRay 5, Black body, Pickguard, & pup with Rosewood fb in excellent condition. Will include G & G hardshell case.

9. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I didn't get the bass with a G&G hardshell. I had an extra gigbag and ordered the bass with no case! I'll include the Warwick gigbag with the bass which is very nice and significantly padded. It retailed for $89.95. Do you have a hardshell with the MM? Is it form fitted or can another bass with a generic jazz shaped body possibly fit? If so, maybe you could keep your case?

Even though I know what a Stingray 5 looks like, I would appreciate a picture or two of your bass. I can't make any guarantees that I'll do this trade as I really need the cash. It would be more of a question of which bass I can sell sooner for how much.

A couple of questions:

Why are you considering letting go of the MM5?

How heavy is it? Please let me know.

Thanks

Larry

10. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    regarding the hardshell.

L

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Larry,

I originally bought the SR5 (new, by the way--one owner) because it was the highest quality bass I could find new for the money I had to spend. I like the tone OK, but its tone versatility is somewhat limited and I am less than thrilled with the midrange (though with some bass rigs, it sounds better than with mine--I have a Nemesis NC-210P).

The only other reason I'm thinking about trading is that it is a bit heavy to me. Which brings me to your second question: my SR5 weighs 10 lbs. Not a light-weight, but that heft gives it an authority in the lower bass that I do love (excellent B string).
    I just turned 52 and have a good strap. Some nights it hardly bothers me at all, but other times it bothers my left sholder after a long night of playing.

I love the neck on it. I really do like the preamp and tone controlls on the bass; the bass control is centered just right for bringing out the best part of this bass's sound. The pup switch in series gives a good cutting throaty upper mid-bass, in single-coil it has incredible low-end articulation and clarity throughout its range, in parallel, you've got great, instant slap tone.

I don't have a digital camera, but if you are really interested, I can give a shot at taking some and having them processed & get them to you.
    I have some jpegs off BassNW that look just like mine. I realize that you probably want some reassurance that its not beat to heck.

Anyway, here's these shots and let me know if you are interested. [Hope this works; 1st time to attempt posting an image--hopefully 2 more to follow.]

Thanks,
    lo-freq

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    My fingerboard does not look as reddish as this came out.

2nd pic:

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    3rd pic:

14. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    If I did this, I would be trying to turn around and sell your SR5, not keep it. Sorry, I'm not considering this trade because I don't like the JO5 or want a Stingray. I need the money and if your MM would sell easier/faster/closer to what I can get for the JO5, that's what's important to me right now.

Please be patient with me and give us a couple of weeks to see if I can find a good home for the JO5. If you'd like to buy it outright and sell your MM in the meantime, I'm sure you can get $900 or so on Ebay. There's really not a lot of competition right now for EB 5's there. I may put my Osborn up there with a no reserve, buy now, first bid similar price.

Let me know if you can possibly swing a non trade deal.

Thanks

Larry

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah, I totally understand.

I will check into either selling mine or making a trade with someone else. Either way, I will let you know.

Thanks.

16. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Larry my friend, do you ever keep a bass long enough to get attached to it?:bassist:

17. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    doesn't seem that way does it? I do really love my F bass and since my trade fell apart, I'm thinking about keeping both of them (for a while!!).

Larry

18. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That's a sweet JO5, cuz.

Other than an F bass, what is the longest run of ownership you've had on a single bass? What basses HAVE you loved?

And to be fair, it's not a bad thing to buy, play, then sell basses (for all who are concerned). Variety is the spice of life. You learn what you like, you learn what you love. These aren't marriages, they are basses. They don't have feelings. Progress is a good thing.

19. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've always had a love hate relationship with my basses because in spite of having good speakers, a decent head, and, with an exception or two granted, a decent bass with either supposedly "the tone" (Sadowsky) or great adjustability (Lakland) for instance, I found that I had to get away from the norm (F bass) to get the speakers and head at the time, to make things work. Now maybe it's mostly the head? I don't know. I realize that a Sunn head and my GK 2000 RB which between them I owned for 6 years (no longer have GK...very unreliable for me), although certainly more expensive than a lot of other head being used out there, are not considered at the top of the hifi, audiophile pyramid, right?

But, ya see, with all the other basses, Roscoe, Modulus, Stingray 5, Sadowsky, Lakland that I've owned and added straplocks to!! in the past year in my quest to find the right bass, the F basses are the only ones, for me, that sound good everywhere, that I can adjust to give me an acceptable and consistent sound in every great to crummy venue I've played with them so far.

I also have used both for piano bar jazz trio with my antiquated Yorkville Block 80 (I've had this amp for at least 15 years believe it or not!!) along with all my band rehearsals with the same combo and it still sounds great, no tweeter, 15 inch speaker, and all. I've used both F basses several times at rehearsal through our keyboard player's Peavey, I mean real small practice amp, and it sounds good.

Have I ever loved a bass where I'd never leave it so far? Hell no. Am I dating a couple now that have engagement potential? Seems that way.

Have fun Cuz.

LKaye

20. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    So it's all about context (with the exception of the JO5 which is about $$$ and the lack thereof).