Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Joe Osborn Skyline Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richyirich, Mar 14, 2006.

1. richyirich

richyirich

Mar 14, 2006
    I'm very interested in purchasing a Lakland Joe Osborn Skyline bass. Photos #1, #2, #3, #4

As you can see from the photos, it's a custom-made 4-string sunburst with P/J Lindy Fralin pickups, made in late-2002 or early-2003. Since the bass was used only in studio settings, it's in mint condition with little or no wear (no dings, scratches, cracks, etc). Seller is willing to sell it for $800, and I think it's a decent deal...but what do you guys think?

By the way, does anyone know how heavy this bass is? Seller said it's medium heavy (not as light as early Fenders but not as heavy as mid-70s basses).

Thanks!

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    never seen one with a p pickup. makes me wonder if theres a nasty rout under that pickguard. but not a bad price if its mint. welcome to talk bass.

3. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    welcome to TB Rich,do you know if the p-ups are lindy fralins,
    sure looks to be in good shape,does it come with case?
    I have a Bob Glaub and it's by far the best bass i've ever played;neck is a little wider on mine!
    800. seems very reasonable,i'd say go for it!!

4. richyirich

richyirich

Mar 14, 2006
    Electric Blue,

Yes, they are Lindy Fralin pickups. Bass doesn't come with a hard-shell case, but it comes with a gig bag.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hmmm, I'd probably have to go for it. Btw, welcome to the asylum.

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    IIRC, new Skylines can be found for around $900 from places such as Bass Central. If it truly is in such good condition that's probably not a bad price.

See if you can get a picture of the bass with the pickguard off, just to make sure that they didn't go at it with an ice pick.

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    As long as you can verify its condition and like the P/J sound, it's not a bad deal.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey guys, welcome my bud!

great player, and tho he's got a sweet Ken Smith Burner, he's on the fast track to GAS'dom. ;)

9. Steve Whitman

Steve Whitman

Sep 4, 2000
    Lakland Skyline models do not come in a P/J setup, so it has been modified. Its possible that the original owner could have had the Lakland shop do the conversion, but unlikely as that would put it pretty close to the US price range. So I would say be sure to get a pic w/o the guard and confirm that the pups are the Fralins. $800 is not much below new price, but if the mods were done well I would consider it an upgrade worth paying for. With an import bass its unlikely to affect the long term value, so long as the job was done well. BTW, I have both a JO and Glaub w/Fralins, and love those pups!
    Steve

10. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Evanston, IL
    i would consider myself a big fan of lakland jo's. +1 on checking for quality of the upgrade...if it was done well, jump on it!

i think skyline jo's are quite possibly the best jazz bass buy around. when you consider that a geddy lee jazz +a 200 dollar set of fralin pickups would cost the same as a new jo...you really cant go wrong.

11. Some here may think I am nuts but I just paid $950 US for a Natural Finish Darryl Jones 4. Catch is that it is BRAND new (Dealer New Old Stock so I get the Warranty and everything!!!!) and they quit making the Natural Finish so I thought I got a steal!! From your description it seems that it is a good price. I like the JO as well as the DJ and think that Lakland Skylines are VERY underrated (good for me!! I have 4 of them now!!) IF it is as good as the Skylines I have, you will be very happy with it! Good Luck!! :hyper:

Peace,

T

12. as silly as it sounds, it was the lack of a classic look that kept me from the dj and made me go with a sunburst jo. i'm not into the painted headstock look or the metallic finishes (although i like candy apple red - if you're going to be flashy, then drive the corvette!)

regardless, it all comes down to the sound, baby. and they're both fabulous at what they do.

13. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    +1000 on your last comment....I was just at Lakland on Friday (getting my "new to me" JO5 set up) and saw a couple of US DJ's with 'burst finishes.....they looked sweet!!! They looked different than the JO burst...maybe it is the size of the body...

14. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    a burst dj with a black guard would be awesome!!! I also am really digging my own little photoshops of burst basses with blocks and black pickguards... only a week til that glaub gets here.

15. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    I had actually seen a pic of a Skyline JO with PJ pups, nowhere else but right here in TB. It was a sunburst one with a tort pg and the owner said that P upgrade was done by Lakland. If you're talking about that bass, I would jump onto it.

16. The advice may be a little late for "jumping", since the OP was asking about the bass in the spring of 2006....

Mike

17. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    O-oh!