Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Joe Osborne flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gsummer, May 6, 2001.

1. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Anyone play 'em? How do they compare to other flats? The only brand I have used is TI's. I want a nice full bottom end, with a smooth sound. Good blues, old style rock, R&B tone. Will these satisfy me? What might be better? Also, how do they compare to the TI's playing wise? I found TI's too floppy.

2. gsummer,
    Try the Pyramid Gold flats.
    They're the foundation of Rock and Roll.

3. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    How do the pyramids feel? Are the stiff? What kind of tone do they have? Aren't they expensive?

4. gsummer,
    They have a very smooth feel. Every one who uses them says, "They get better as they age".
    A month ago I tried the Fender flats, I took them off right away, too much tension for my taste.
    Also they were not as comfortable, (smooth) as the Pyramids. The Pyramids are tentioned just right for me. The tone is thumpy but clear, even when rolling off some of the basses treble. ( P Bass)
    Yes, they are expensive. Try to look at it this way, If they are what you like it's worth the expense. Anyway, they should outlast most of the other brands on the market therefore saving you future string purchases.
    Good Luck in your quest.

5. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Thanks, Tom. They sound like great strings. Do you know where I can get them at a good price?

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    As far as the original question goes, the Lakland Joe Osborn strings are great. And, alot cheaper than Pyramids, too. Compared to TI Jazz Flats, they have a tension more similar to roundwounds, but a really nice, full tone. If you are used to Roundwounds, you will like these.

7. As far as string education goes, I believe one should try all kinds of strings in order to have a clear understanding of what appeals to you.
    When I started playing guitar,
    (many,many moons ago, Hee,Hee) There were only flats available. And that was O.K. Most players were not into the analytical thing that we have today.(analytical is O.K. too)
    As time moved on rounds came to be, which was a refreshing change to the music.
    IMO things have never been better for musicians as far as experimentation goes and I can only say, "try all that you can and get a variety in your playing style".
    It will keep you interested in your music.