1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Joe Osborne vs. Fender American Deluxe Ash

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by saxnbass, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Lakland JO

86 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. Fender Deluxe Ash

59 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Alright, I'm looking at either a Lakland Skyline JO or MIA Fender Deluxe Ash bass, both 5-string with maple fretboard. What's the difference betweent the two? I know that the Lakland is passive and the Fender is active (electronics). Other than that, how different are the two?

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Well, the Lakland isn't neccesarily passive. You can have a J-retro pre installed. Are you going Skyline or USA with the JO?

I can't compare the two because I haven't had enough time on a Deluxe Jazz. I can say that I'm going to buy a Skyline JO 4 passive, and I can't wait!

3. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    :D lol I hope that answers your question. :D

4. I've recently changed over to an all Lakland lineup for my everyday gear. A DJ 5 with a J-retro, rosewood board, and a 55-02 with the Bartolini's, and a maple board. I've been using the DJ passive lately and wish that I had explored that further before getting the pre-amp. What I can say about the Lakland's is that for the money they are excellent basses. I've never had an electronics problem, and never had issues with set-ups and neck adjustments taking the basses in different climates all over the country. They tend to have a little darker tone, but it's still very usable and sits very well in the mix. I do own a passive Fender P 4 with flats that I have taken out on a few occasions, but it's overall a high maintenance bass with a wonderful tone that I would not trade for the world. I'd say sit down with them in a store and try them both out. The string spacing on the Lakland is wider. I prefer it that way because I love 4 string spacing. But see which one fits you.

(I voted Lakland!!!)

5. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'm going to be going to a big music store this Friday, but I doubt they are going to have both the Lakland Skyline JO and the Fender MIA Deluxe Ash in 5-strings. If they do, I'll A/B them, but I doubt it, that's why I posted here. :D

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    :bag:

Woops. :)

You can find enough people talking about build quality of Laklands on these forums. I would be willing to say that the JO will have a tighter B, and will also have a nicer finish. The JO is modeled after a vintage jazz, the jazz deluxe is modeled after (I don't know, doesn't look vintage though). If you want that 60's vintage tone in a modern bass with excellent build quality and feel, then get the JO.

The JO has a 35" scale, the Fender has 34".

What else? Lakland offer outstanding customer service. They're the best I've ever dealt with.

I've never dealt with Fender customer service, so I can't compare.

7. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've played both and I like the Lakland better. But then I own a JO4, so maybe I'm biased. They are both good basses and you can't really go wrong with either, but my vote went to the Lakland.

8. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    The Fender is 34" scale? I didn't realize that.

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  10. I voted Fender. You at least have tone with character with the Fender.
    I'm a jazz lover, and tried to like the Lakland JO but just couldn't. IMHO it just has no character.
    Its looks good on paper, spec wise, but in person it failed to please.

Flame me, I expect.... just stating my opinion.

11. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Really? You think the JO, with Fralin pickups, has no character? I think the opposite. The Fender sounds good, but the JO sounds like a vintage '60s Fender. To each his own I guess.

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    [​IMG]!

You are forced to except my opinion for reasons that don't matter to you!

(just kidding) :)

To saxnbass: Do you want a 34" or 35" scale? That might be a determing factor. Make sure you put both basses through some workouts.

13. funny thing is I picked it up with such anticipation... perhaps I expected too much?

come to think of it, I've never been impressed with any Lakland I played... even the DJ's.
    I played 55-01/02's, DJ's, JO's... all of em'. Just never impressed me.

14. :D

15. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I'm assuming we're talking 5 strings.

I've played both and I would take the JO and never look back.

The Lakland B string is legendary.
    I don't think you'll find a better B string anywhere at any price.

I would also throughly explore the passive option with JO. You can always add a pre later.

If you're talking Skyline you're gonna save about $300.00.

I have a 5501 and 5502 Deluxe, hands down my 2 favorite basses.

I plan to get both a DJ5 and a JO5.

Go Lakland...

16. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Actually, I'm not too picky. I am more comfortable on 34" since I own a lot of 4-strings, but I also own a 6-string which 35" and an EUB which is way bigger (41 or 42" as far as I know). I think I'd be more comfortable on the 34", but could easily get used to the 35", cause I'd also have to get used to the Low B string, cause I am a 4-stringer (and my 6 is tuned EADGCF).

17. you know, I read this a lot, about the Lakland B being "legendary" and I just do feel it...
    I would say its tighter then a Fender's, or other instruments, sure, but it still feels "disconnected" from the other 4 strings.
    Take this with a grain of salt because I'm a admitted 4 string partial, but I ordered AND returned a Lakland 55-01 recently, (which I tried to like), partly because I just wasn't feeling the low B. Maybe I'm missing something here, but if its so "legendary" why does it still feel like it doesn't belong?
    Its noticeably less tight, and less "controllable" then the other 4 strings.

18. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I voted for (surprise!) the Lakland.

The Lakland B string is, as mentioned, legendary, and the Fralin pickups are amazing. If you really want to make the bass active, It would be a cinch to pop in a J-retro or Audere.

I don't think you'll get as many finish options with the JO as you would with the Fender, but the improved build quality, precise fretwork, and outstanding electronics should outweigh that.

The small frets on Lakland basses feel amazing, too.

Isn't the string spacing and neck profile different between these two basses?

19. I voted Fender because of this. I don't care for 35"s - too tight on the D and G strings for my tastes. But Lakland has it's followers for sure, they do make some nice basses!

20. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Did you try different sets of strings?

Maybe it was the individual bass you played?

Did you try different amps?

Well, B strings do have less tension than the other strings. My solution is heavy B strings. Depending on the brand, I prefer at least .130 gauge B string, and stringing through the body.

To contradict myself, I actually have a set of DR black beauties with a (IIRC) .125 B string strung throught the body. It feels fantastic, and sound like a lower extension of the other strings, something that all B strings should sound like.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021