1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland LOG or BG5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Mar 14, 2009.

LOG bass or BG5

Poll closed Apr 13, 2009.
  1. LOG bass

30 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Bob Glaub 5

33 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. Green carrots.

30 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    As you many of you know the LOG (Lakland Owners Group) bass is being offered with Chi-sonic pickup and in Green only.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521069

If Lakland was to offer a Skyline Bob Glaub 5 in only 3-tone sunburst (both basses have options of fretboard wood and pickguard color) which would you be more likely to order?

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I recall the OP's post in another LOG thread - I'd be much more into the Skyline BG 5 if it was offered in standard finishes (black, 'burst, natural) and had a P style pickup instead of the Chi-Sonic.

On a different note, I'm aware that Chi-Sonics are the greatest thing since hot and cold running water and the cure for polio combined, but I prefer the standard P-Bass pickup for familiarity in terms of feel as opposed to sound.

3. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    A Glaub 5 in 3 tone burst with torte and rosewood is the one bass I WANT. If it was announced today, I would have it ordered today. I had that same bass in the fender precision 5 deluxe with a maple board and it was a great bass, but the B did not impress me. The lakland B is what will make that bass, MY bass

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    OK, but three finish options would be moving the goal posts.:)

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    True. Not sure if he voted, but for this pole we're keeping it to the 3-tone only. That whole even footing thing. :smug:

6. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    Like I said elsewhere, I would buy this bass in almost any color (heck, for the price you could buy it, have Wilkins do a custom finish AND swap out the pup if you wanted to for about the price of a Fender P5 (and you would actually have a usable B string, not to mention a completely custom instrument). Regardless, I need this bass.

7. I voted log bass, but i thought you meant this..

logbass.

8. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    You are allowed your own opinion (HOW I LOVE the USA!).

also - I found this VERY funny!!!!

you forgot the cure for cancer as well....

9. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    So far...BG5 is ahead by about 1/2 (9 LOG vs 13 "std" BG5)

question is...if this were a "put up the $$$$ or keep quite" poll, would as many people vote?

I will keep tabs on this.....thanks PB for starting this!!!!

10. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    This is a mute point since the Skyline BG5 isn't available to order.

11. Moot (it's like a cow's opinion)

The question he is really posing is...would you get the LOG bass if it was in another color?

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Pretty much.

Although we are having trouble with our terms of silence:
    "mute">>Moot, "quite">>Quiet.
    :smug:

Probably should have put up a third option of the 3-tone BG5 with the Chi-sonic. :p

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Means nothing.
    This is just an opinion poll.
    For your statement to have any point you would have to prove that a bigger percentage of one group would actually "put up the $$$$ or keep quiet" over the other group.

14. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    MAYBE - but it IS fun!!!!

15. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

My main point was that "voting is cheap"......if you actually asked people to put $$$ towards one, that would be the TRUE test....

it was this type of discussion which convinced me to approach Dan about a BG5 in the first place...I thought we would get 50+ BG5s "easy" but ....well......even with a P pickup we were still not getting the interests level we needed to make it happen...

I am interested to see where this goes......who knows...there is Nothing in stone and no order is placed yet....

Thanks PB for starting this poll (seriously)

16. Let me preface this by saying that I'm one of the biggest Lakland supporters around -- I currently own two and love them both. That said, I'm not convinced that the timing is right for the LOG bass right now -- for several reasons ...

1) The economy. As we all know, money is VERY tight and folks are being very careful how/where they spend their cash.

2) As much as we hate to admit it, Teal Green is a niche color (at best) for a bass. Black, White, 3TB, LPB and Natural are the most commonly offered colors for a reason -- year over year, bass after bass, those are the colors people buy.

3) The Chi-Sonic pickup. I could be wrong but I think that some folks are leery of the Chisonic pickup in this application. I mean, we all know what a P-Bass is and what it's supposed to sound like. This single-Chisonic config is new and different to most of us. I'm sure many folks have thought ...

"What does it sound like?" :help:
    "Will it work for MY music?" :rolleyes:
    "Hmmm --- that looks odd for a P-Bass."
    :eyebrow:

(It could be the greatest thing since sliced bread but it's definitely a significant unknown.)

Don't get me wrong -- I don't want to throw cold water on anyone's enthusiasm but based on my background as a Sales/Marketing Professional (and taking off my Lakland Fanboy hat) I think that the LOG bass has some significant obstacles. If I were Dan Lakin and had to bet the cost of the production investment for this bass, I'd think long and hard before taking that kind of gamble.

(FWIW - I doubt that I'd buy one in any configuration. Based on what I play, I don't think that its right for me. I love fivers but I don't think that a P or pseudo-p would work for the Urban Gospel thing that I do exclusively. I dont mention this to hate -- I just added because I figured that someone might ask.)

17. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    IotaNet:

you are right on many of your points...and I know where you stand on Laklands....no need to preface anything......

the economy is our biggest enemy now....BUT it (hopefully) appears to be turning around....Dan is and we are being cautious....we are not ordering until we have enough to make a full (or almost full) order....

if timing is not right, we will pull it and do it later....but I (and many others) hope we do not have to do that....

18. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I voted BG5. I'm very curious about the green carrots, though.

My choice is about pickups, and it has nothing to do with tone. Chisonics may well be superior pickups. (I believe there is a p-bass split humbucker Chisonic for a 4 string, isn't there?) I just prefer the feel of a P pickup under my hand to any other kind of pickup.

Ironically, my #1 4 string is a J-MM pickup config, and my #1 5-string has two soapbars.

I don't see me buying a new fiver anytime soon though. I own a Dingwall.

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not to beat a dead horse here, but....no it wouldn't. It would just be the final expected average across the board.

Your statement still assumes one group will still be more frivolous with their vote yet not actually come up with the money than the other group.

Regardless of the results, if only an average of 50% of the voters in each group actually put up the $$$, the poll/test is very "true".

BTW, Your Welcome. :smug::D

20. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I definitely would prefer the BG5 in burst, but remember we are talking about a limited edition bass here, so it should be different and not so typical. I am pretty sure a Skyline BG5 will be out sometime so I can be patient. I will try to grab a BG4 in the meantime. If the LOG Bass was a BG5 in burst, it wouldn't be so special once the skyline BG5 goes into production (I am assuming that will happen at SOME point)