Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland metallic finishes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, May 9, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Does anyone have or have played a Lakland bass with a metallic finish? If so, is it very sparkly in appearence or is it more subtle looking? Thanks.

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I supposed it depends on what you mean by "sparkly", and it depends on what color your talking about. When I think of a "sparkly" finish, I'm usually thinking of the sparkle colors that G&L offers. These have large flakes in the finish and reflect a LOT of light back out through the clear coat. The Lakland colors are based on original Fender custom colors from the '60's, which were originally based on available car colors of the period. If you look at a car with a metalic finish, you can tell what color it is, and you might be able to tell that there are tiny metal flakes in the finish based on the light, but it ususally doesn't shine and flash like a beacon. Same with Lakland. If you look closely, and depending on lights and angle from the stage, you might be able to see the tiny metal flakes (or get a bit of a "pearessent" effect), but it isn't that dramatic. The bass ususally looks red, or blue, or green, etc. However, in my opinion, the flakes do have a substantial difference in the overall look of the color/finish itself that you can't get with just a flat color.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Once had a metallic teal 55-94. Definitely more metallic than flake. Had a subtle sheen to it, depending on the light. Very nice paint job. The Lakland site color charts are pretty close to actual.
    Doc

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a new Skyline 55-01 in Candy Apple Red, and it is definately metal flake, not metallic. The flakes are unmistakable, you can see individual flakes easily. I bought it by mail, and was surprised it was like this, as I expected it to be a regular metallic, like a Fender, but it is not at all. I actually like this better. I guess they use different paint for the Korean models than for the American. I tried to take a picture with my digital camera, but couldn't get a good one. The camera, even in closeup mode, seemed to have a hard time focusing on the flakes.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Here is a picture of the 55-01. It isn't that good, but you can clearly see the metal flakes.

[​IMG]

It was taken from about 4 inches away.

6. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks. Anyone have any pics of a Lakland with a metallic finish?