Lakland mid-freq switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JTGale, Feb 14, 2005.

1. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I have had my Lakland 44-02 now for about 2 months and have begun to realize that I really like this bass. It is a keeper. But there is one function that I would like to fiddle with that I am not too sure how it is set up: the mid-freq switch in the cavity.

It has a selector that is set at 500mhz (factory standard). It then provides options for: 250mhz, 700mhz and 850mhz (I think). What I want to know is, are these the freqs at which they begin to kick in? Is everything below that freq clipped? My only complaint about the bass is that it has too much mid (for me). So, in theory, I could turn this switch up to the 850mhz setting and clip everything below that?

Just wondered. I figure somebody out there will have the answer. I hate to bug Dan at the shop about it. :D

2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    That switch sets the frequency that is controlled by the midrange control on your bass. The mids control is cut and boost, so by setting the switch to a different value you can cut or boost a different spot in the mids spectrum.

Typical settings for a good slap tone would be to set it for higher mids (the 800ish setting) and cut the mids (and boost the highs and lows).

For a great fingerstyle tone, I like to set the switch to 'low mids' (250 setting) and boost a little.

The best way to see the effect of the mids switch setting is to leave the bass and treble flat, then boost or cut the mids and see how it sounds. Use my recommendations as a starting point.

For fretless, I may choose to set the mids point higher (probably 500) for boosting the mids.

Some people have replaced the internal 4-way switch with an external 3-way switch, which makes it a little easier to fiddle around. I set mine to 250 and left it.
  3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    The frequency points determine the center frequency for the boost/cut of the midrange knob, in a relatively narrow bandwidth. The center detent is flat. With the detent at flat, you will not hear any difference in the freq point settings. You will have to set the frequency, then boost or cut to taste (or leave it flat). It's not a shelving control that will wipe out everything below the freq point, you'll have to experiment and find what freq point works best.
  4. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Cool! Thanks for the input. I think I will drop it to 250 and give it a try. I am looking to get a warmer, fingerstyle sound out of it. This should help.

Cheers! :D
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    great bass enjoy it, regret having sold mine.
  6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I have the 55-02. I'll give my vote for 250. I like to boost it a little to get a more growly tone from it!