Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland - mid frequency dip switch - How do YOU have yours?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MKS, Mar 11, 2004.

1. 250Hz

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. 500Hz

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. 700Hz

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. 850Hz

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. I've tried a search on this topic but not found anything that matches...

I've just got a Lakland Skyline 55-02 and I'm enjoying the variety of tones that I can get from the pickups and EQ (I've never had this level of tweakability before, so bear with me ;) ).

I was just wondering how most folks have set the dip switches to choose the mid frequency?

I've opted for the 850Hz option since it seems to get a nice muchos scooped sound out of the MM if I crank the bass and treble and cut the mids. Also if I go to the front Jazz and dial in some mids, the 850Hz is not too "honky" (compared to the 700Hz).

2. I have it at 700 just out of my taste and old ears!!!

:)

P.S.: fwiw, the coil selector is always in center position!!!!

3. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I have mine at 500. I will be watching this thread out of curiosity.
    :cool:

4. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    I have mine set to 500...

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

500 Hz is fine for me.

I think it depends partially on your woods, among other factors.
    I've got that hard ash with the maple neck/fretboard and it's strung with stainless steel roundwounds..........that's more than "bright" enough for me, when I need it.

Some fatass flatwounds might be fun to try.

6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I've got a 3 position selector switch on my Laklands (no 700hz), but 500 Hz would be my choice if I had to have just one. :D

keep groooovin'
    Fran

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that 500 is the default setting - but somebody mentioned this in a previous thread and I changed mine to 250, as it seemed to give a bassier sound that was more suitable for Latin Jazz - but I just changed it back, as I think it was better overall when I had it on 500.

8. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001
    Kentucky
    I have mine at 500. Tried it a while at 700, but 500 just seems right for my sound and needs.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Recently picked up a 55-01 Deluxe with a USA Bart NTMB preamp as another backup bass. So, I've dug back into these old threads.

I use to own a 55-94 Deluxe and I remember settling on 700 after trying several other settings. For some reason, this 55-01 sounds best at 500 for my current playing applications.