1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland - mid frequency dip switch - How do YOU have yours?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MKS, Mar 11, 2004.

1. 250Hz

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. 500Hz

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. 700Hz

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. 850Hz

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. I've tried a search on this topic but not found anything that matches...

I've just got a Lakland Skyline 55-02 and I'm enjoying the variety of tones that I can get from the pickups and EQ (I've never had this level of tweakability before, so bear with me ;) ).

I was just wondering how most folks have set the dip switches to choose the mid frequency?

I've opted for the 850Hz option since it seems to get a nice muchos scooped sound out of the MM if I crank the bass and treble and cut the mids. Also if I go to the front Jazz and dial in some mids, the 850Hz is not too "honky" (compared to the 700Hz).

2. I have it at 700 just out of my taste and old ears!!!

:)

P.S.: fwiw, the coil selector is always in center position!!!!

3. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I have mine at 500. I will be watching this thread out of curiosity.
    :cool:

4. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    I have mine set to 500...

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

500 Hz is fine for me.

I think it depends partially on your woods, among other factors.
    I've got that hard ash with the maple neck/fretboard and it's strung with stainless steel roundwounds..........that's more than "bright" enough for me, when I need it.

Some fatass flatwounds might be fun to try.

6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I've got a 3 position selector switch on my Laklands (no 700hz), but 500 Hz would be my choice if I had to have just one. :D

keep groooovin'
    Fran

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that 500 is the default setting - but somebody mentioned this in a previous thread and I changed mine to 250, as it seemed to give a bassier sound that was more suitable for Latin Jazz - but I just changed it back, as I think it was better overall when I had it on 500.

8. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001
    Kentucky
    I have mine at 500. Tried it a while at 700, but 500 just seems right for my sound and needs.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Recently picked up a 55-01 Deluxe with a USA Bart NTMB preamp as another backup bass. So, I've dug back into these old threads.

I use to own a 55-94 Deluxe and I remember settling on 700 after trying several other settings. For some reason, this 55-01 sounds best at 500 for my current playing applications.