Lakland mid range.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Badenough, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Badenough

Dec 30, 2000
    Oslo Norway
    Hi all fellow Lakland owners.
    I am trying to find the best settings for the mid range dip switches on my 55-94 and 4-94. I use the Lakland Nickel roundwound soft gauge strings for the 55 and medium strings for the 4 -94 with an Aguilar 359 or a Demeter/QSC setup with Eden 4X10 XLT cab. Aslo thinking of adding a new 2X10 cab.
    On what frequency do you keep yor midrange and what amp/cab combination do you use? Any suggestions for strings.
    (I do like the low midrange growl)
  2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Remove the control cavity cover and plug in your bass. Go through each dip swicth setting and experiment with your tone controls until you find a sound you're happy with. It's a long process on the Laklands, because the coil tap switch for the bridge pickup also affects the tone, so you hve lots of options. But, no one can explain how to achieve a particular sound via email.

(Just be careful not to short anything inside the cavity while you're doing this.)

3. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I've got a 55-94........
    (my main rig is SWR Mo-Bass driving a SWR Goliath Sr.)

...I'm still experimenting with the Mid-dip switches..
    presently....I have dip set for the 700hz mark.

....I'm still having troubles cutting thru the mix , in live gig I need to continue my experimentation.

My bass seems (to me) to get lost ......on the 'A' & 'D' strings from the 5 fret on up.....

So...I'd be very interested in the answers from other Lak owners.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like 700. This means nothing to you, though. I found it by doing what jdombrow said. Futz around with it 'til you get the sound you like.
  5. My 55-94 is on 700. Maple neck all Mesa Boogie stuff. Totally different with all tube amp. My Eden stuff never cut through the mix for me. No matter what I try through that 400+ sounds great.

My 4-94 also maple. Had on 700 for quite sometime, but recently changed to DR Sunbeams. Since then I have it on 500 and sound really nice. DR claims their strings are louder, and they are.

New Lakland Jazz: Actually didn't pick it up yet. It doesn't have a dip switch anyway, although I can have it easily made active. Sounded awesome through 400+ btw.

I have been doing other things too like changing preamp tubes that made a difference in my sound. There are so many thing to consider and as many wise players mention ALL the time on Talkbass, let your own ears make the choice. Although all this information is quite useful and expsensive. Peace.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mine is set on 700hz but I keep my mid control flat;)

The best way has already been have to try them and see what you like. Kind of hard to do on a gig though.
  7. Badenough

Dec 30, 2000
    Oslo Norway
    Thanks for your replies.

My intention with my post was to see where you guys ended up. I have been trying diffrent setings and combinations for quite a while and ended up with 500 for the 4 and 700 for the 5 string. Have no problem in the mix while using the Demeter pre amp.
    I would have liked a more accessable solution for the changing of mid freq on the basses. Very happy with my Laklands.
  8. kcuneyt

Sep 14, 2009
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
  9. Suncat

Suncat Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
  10. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I'm using 700 on my 55-94 but use a *slight* mid-boost most of the time. I'm using TI flats on the bass is a general rock setting.