Lakland Midrange Frequency Option

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by, Mar 31, 2004.

1. 250 Hz

3 vote(s)
  2. 500 Hz

12 vote(s)
  3. 700 Hz

4 vote(s)
  4. 850 Hz

2 vote(s)
  1. I just got my Lakland 55-94 Classic and realised it has a selectable midrange frequency in the control cavity. I'm lost and don't know which is good for what... I found mine at 500Hz and it sounds okay.
  2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Whenever I have the option, I select a mids point of around 200-250 (on any bass with selectable mids) so I can boost for some low mids when playing fingerstyle.

If you mainly want a good slap tone, you might want to try selecting a higher mids point (800) and cut the mids.

The 500 setting you have is a pretty good compromise between the two.

I've heard of some people that end up adding on a 2 or 3 way mini-switch to select the mids, if you find the need to go back and forth.
  3. So if I get you correctly, you boost the low mids when you play finger stuff and cut the high mids when you slap... Right?
  4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    my Laklands have the mid freq. selector switch and I change the freq depending on the tone I'm looking for, but I've voted for the 500 HZ because that's what I'd use if I had only one.

keep groooovin'
  5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm also a little confused here, does the Lakland/Bart switch boost the mids or cut? It's been a couple of years, but I thought the guys at Lakland told me it was a cut switch.
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My 55-01 doesn't have this option... or, if it does.. I'm unaware of it.
  7. Mine is currently set at 500hz, but I'm switching it to 250hz for a little trial. The two higher ones were good for slap, but useless any other time. BTW, how hard is it to add a switch to allow you to select between them?

8. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    The switch just sets the frequency that is affected by the mids control knob, the control is cut and boost.

A 55-01 would only have this mids switch if it has the upgraded 'USA' preamp. The standard 55-01 preamp doesn't have it.
  9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    That's correct, at least as a starting point. How much boost or cut, and exactly which mids frequency, depends on the bass, preamp options, etc.

I originally found these recommended settings from Mike Tobias for the MTD 535 on his web site.

Here are the settings from the MTD American product description (these settings are for an MTD 535, not a Lakland):

"There is great variety in the settings of the EQ. The basses can be made to sound very traditional by cutting the mids all the way at 1000 (switch in top position), and boosting the bass and treble to 10 with the blend pot at center. This offers a great slap tone. Boosting the mids at 250 ( switch in lower position), with bass at 10 and treble at 9-10 with the blend pot on the bridge pick up gives the early Bartolini TCT tone. This offers a very percussive finger tone. These are just suggestions. The tone will vary depending on the rig and technique used."
  10. Thanks for all the help.. I'm actually more of a slapper but use I play the bass mainly for church worship music which I rarely get to slap. May try the 250Hz for practice tonight.

There are just too many tones in the Lakland.. and all seem very usable! Haha, I'm gasing for another one... A 4 string maybe. :)
  11. See also my poll in the Pickups forum... I have my 55-02 set at 800Hz
  12. I play mine only in church as well. I find myself picking new tones all the time. Threw on some flats last night and switched to 250hz. I found a new sound in cutting the bass a little, the treble a lot and then adding some mids...nice P-Bass sound! Smooth on the Jazz side, punchy on the MM....

13. kcuneyt

Sep 14, 2009
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses