Lakland neck adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by arose11, Jan 13, 2004.

1. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I have had this bass for 2 or 3 weeks, and I have noticed it flexes quite alot. The action is where I want it (medium action), but can this be fixed somehow? Would the cold do it? I have had to walk for an hour or so in the 40degree(F) weather. It is a maple neck with a maple fretboard. I was just wondering if there was anything that might be wrong with my bass.

Thank you,
    Andrew R.

PS-I did do a search and didn't find anything specifically about this.
  2. What do you mean by "flexes"?

All necks should have SOME give and take, but if it's actually moving, you may need to tighten the neck plate screws.

3. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks Treena,

It is just the neck itself that moves a little bit. I was just making sure that I wasn't further damaging my instrument. Can't be too careful.

-Andrew R.
    Thanks again.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    From the cold to the warmth of indoors will effect the neck slightly.
    You will notice when you get to a warm place and the bass warms up the tuning will now be flat. thats just the wood re-acting to the warmth.
    That what happens to me all the time here in New York. All my necks change with the weather outside, when it's cold and the bass is cold the neck may backbow slightly on me(very slight buzzing on first few frets) till the bass warms up. By the way, my Lakland stays pretty straight and tuned in crazy temperature changes.