1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland neck swap, 55-01 to 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by need4mospd, Aug 22, 2007.

1. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I spent some time with my new(to me) Lakland 55-02 and found I wasn't a big fan of the maple fretboard. It wasn't bad by any means, but I guess I've always liked the way rosewood felt under my fingers. Looking at my 55-01 with the rosewood board, I thought I'd give swapping necks a shot. Now, this was the first time I've ever taken a neck off before so I was a bit nervous. I've done simple setups, but I feared this might not turn out great if I messed something up. Thankfully, it was as simple as un-bolting and re-bolting the neck to the other bass. After a quick setup, I had two great playing basses with different necks!

Anyways, here's a couple pics of the end result!

Attached Files:

2. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    1 word.... SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

Enjoy your toys my newly found Texas friend!!

3. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    That neck swap really accentuates the differences in basses IMO. The 55-02 is a little mellower than the 55-01, and rosewood is mellower than maple. You have a very sweet pair of basses! Enjoy! :)

4. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Thanks to buffordbass for making it happen! :D

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'm glad to see that someone completed this successfully! I always wondered if it was possible.

Looks great!

6. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I would like to note that I bought them both used and both basses had shims in the neck pocket. After swapping the necks, I removed a shim on one of them since the saddles were way too high on that one. As they sit, one of them has the bridge saddles high(neck without shim), and the other has them almost all the way down(neck with shim). I had to adjust pickup height, however, intonation was surprisingly VERY close to perfect between the two.

7. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Cool that it worked. i have heard that skyline and us necks are not interchangeable though.

8. nice to know this works....

both necks are skylines I believe
    usa models would be a 4-94 or a 55-94.

9. So then the only difference between the 55-01 and the 55-02 is the electronics? No difference in the bodies or necks? Then this is highly possible for anyone to do this, even me.:D

10. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Correct, 55-01 has soapbars, the 55-02 has a jazz and an MM style with a coil switch thingy. :D Both mine have NTMB preamps, but I believe they usually come with different preamps.

Honestly, the 55-02 doesn't sound THAT much "better". It's a bit more versatile and it's 100% better looking with the quilted top.

Glad I could provide useful information here. Hopefully people using the search function can find this later on.