Lakland neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jun 3, 2002.

1. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    HI, Is the Lakland 44-02 neck similar to a musicman neck? (width etc) The neck on the Lakland looks a bit chunky.

2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've noticed (at lease I perceive this to be true)that the necks on various Lakland basses have changed slightly over the years-Dan disagrees with this, as I've talked to him about this subject before. Currently, the Lakland bass necks feel really "small" to me, and I think this may be true because the have a slightly rounded "V" shape...skinny on the edges with either standard thickness or ever so slightly thinker in the middle. When I tried one of the first Osbornes produces (back when Joe autographed the back of every neck that came out of the factory), the Jazz felt like it had more of a pronounced "V", whereas the regular line had a fairly traditional "flattened oval" shape. By comparison, the neck on my Sterling is basically a jazz bass neck, but it feels slightly more substantial than a Lakland. I think that this probably due to the fact that the profile is generally the same, but that the edges are not rounded off quite as much. Overall, we're talking about the differences that 1/100 of an inch can make...they are ALL great necks!;)
  3. Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    The neck on my 4 year old 4-94 does have a slight "V" shape. Compared to current production Stingrays I believe the width is about the same, but because of the Lakland profile the thickness doesnt feel as "chunky". The 4-94 is comfortable and fast.

Damn this is hard to describe but I think the 4-94 is more akin to the Sterling than a Stingray or Jazz. But still different than a Sterling; you just have to try it out. Everyone thats played my 4-94 loved the neck.

Good luck...