1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland Necks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Standalone, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Just played a used lakland korean four string with no relief in the neck (at the local g'denter), and some apparent wear to the truss adjustment nut. I'm guessing/ assuming that the truss rod might be maxed out. Anyone have advice on or ever priced a replacement neck? Are they known for having problems in that department? Thanks!

2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Yeah, I've heard good things, too. I just get worried when I see such a bargain price sometimes. Of more concern now is the case of gas I now have! I also played some Sage basses while there. Made in our fine state, I was told. Ever hear of them? Joe

3. Dan Lakin quoted me $300 for a replacement neck last April. My 55-01 has a slight hump at the 2nd and 3rd frets. I filed the frets slightly which helped but was gonna hold out for the newer ebony fretless neck. Although, I haven't seen them out on the production basses yet.

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    i havent heard anybody complain about problems with lakland necks. But i do know that lakland is #1 when it comes to customer service.

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    As has been said, Lakland is not known for bad necks or truss rods, in fact they are usually praised for thier necks and frettwork.

Here's what you do. Go back to the store with a set of allen keys, see if the truss rod works. If not, buy it anyway, and email Dan Lakin (Lakland owner, his email is on the Lakland site) about getting the truss rod nut and/or truss rod replaced.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Why does the idea persist that if the truss rod adjustment nut is maxed out, the neck has to be replaced? It's a very easy fix. Most people can do it themselves. Or take it to a local repair guy. A few small washers and a few minutes work.

If the truss rod itself is damaged, then it's a different story and that's when you may want to replace the neck, as the cost of replacing a truss rod may be more than the cost of a replacement neck.