Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland opinion needed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Feb 22, 2005.

1. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I recently visited a local music store that carries Lakland basses and I tried every one they had in stock there. Sadly, since I live in Newfoundland, I could only try three. Here they are, and they are all skyline:

Joe Osborn 4 w/ sunburst finish

Joe Osborn 5 w/ black finish

55-02 w/ natural finish

So far, I was pretty much impressed with the Joe Osborn 4 string. I plan on buying a Lakland Skyline within the next couple of weeks and my problem is that:
    1) no stores in town carry fretless, especially Lakland fretless
    2) there were no Darryl Jones signatures to compare to

So, I was looking for some personal opinions on the Joe Osborn vs. the Darryl Jones. To me, I like the LOOK of the Darryl Jones much better...especially the white with the ebony fretboard (fretless)...

Any help would be appreciated. As well, the Darryl Jones 4 is only slightly more than the Joe Osborn 4, so price is no problem.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I prefer the DJ over the JO myself. The DJ has a bit more of a
    70s vibe, while the JO has more of a 60's sound.

The Aero pickups in the DJ are outstanding. TONS of deep punchy low end, and as much high end as you'd like out of a passive pickup. I also find the more contoured body of the DJ more comfortable.

3. Alas, my understanding is that the DJ is not going to be available as a fretless.

Mike

4. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Really? In the panphlet I got at the store it says that fretless is an option?

5. The color sheet is incorrect, and was apparently printed before the specs were finalized. From the Dude's Lakland forum:

http://p096.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm21.showMessage?topicID=1073.topic

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I *Personally* would recommend the 55-02 over a JO.

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, I've never played a JO or DJ, but my 55-02D is has incredible tone/action.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It's just my personal preference, and I've always been a sucker for jazz style basses, but..I've owned , a 55-02, two 55-01s, a 44-02,
    a Joe Osborne, a Bob Glaub, and am on my second Darryl Jones. NONE OF THE OTHERS come close to the DJ in terms of what I like.