Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland or Geddy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Nov 18, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    What would you go for?

A Fender Geddy Lee bass that i would fit a J-Retro Preamp to it and Dimarzio J Pickups

OR

Lakland Skyline 44-02 with custom 1.5 Jazz Radius (i heard this can be done on these basses)

Which one would you go for?
    They would work out at the same cost.

Some Feedback on the skyline would be great.

2. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    my next bass is going to be a geddy fitted with a j-retro.

im all about the black inlays and the thinned out c-neck. no changing my mind now :D

3. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    I think the geddy is the one to go for Secksay but because i live in the U.K. it is a nightmare to get this bass (i have tried) Ordering from the U.S. would just cost to much with shipping charges. Have you played the geddy bass? Is the Neck Really that thin? (Don't like to thin a neck)

4. I don't know man, I was don't have a pic of the LAKLAND but the difference I believe is the size of the neck. The Geddy Lee Bass has a smaller neck than the LAKLAND. Just my input. I've played the Geddy Lee and it's great. You can feel the vibrations pretty good. I believe you would like it over the LAKLAND.

I had been looking for a Bass myself and was looking at the Ibanez EDA900F Fretless, with a Luthite body, Ebanol fretless fingerboard and a wider EDA neck. It's got Magnetic dfr-n5 and a Fishman piezo bridge pick-up. $599.99 Silver Flat Finish. I would be the happiest bass player if I got that babe......*wishes*

5. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    the geddy has the same nut width as the standard fender jazzes but what makes the neck smaller is the shallower shape of the neck. the C shape has been shaved down. (i don't really know the terms to explain that)

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You really should spend some time with a Geddy Lee bass before you buy it.

Love it or hate it, the neck is a unique thing. I personally can't stand it, but others love it. (Think broom handle sawn in half with strings)

That being said, they are both nice basses and it is a personal decision. It simply depends on the sound you are after and the feel you want.

Chas

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I'd get the 44-02 and do nothing to it. It requires no upgrades. The 44-01 might be a different story. The Geddy Lee's I've played have not impressed.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Never played the Lakland, but I kinda liked the Geddy Lees that I have played. But I like shallow profile necks, though.

9. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think that either bass is a bad choice... I have a geddy lee, I have it passive with Dimarzio pups... I also have a Lakland 55-01, with the updated preamp, which would be the same preamp as the 44-02. I don't think I would ever be without either bass... granted, there is gonna be some difference in the 55-01 and the 44-02 you are looking at (mostly in the pickups, you would have real barts, mine are the MK-1s) but I think you would be impressed either way... Both are great playing basses, both have a great sound, and both look super cool! I guess you should just do like I did, and get one of each! I plan on ordering a 55-02 soon! :D

P@