Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland or Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Green, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001
    Just curious, I have been reading this board for about a year, but this is the first post. Anyway, I have been looking at Lakland five strings(55-94) and before I purchase I would like some feedback from those who have tried Sadowsky or own both Lakland and Sadowsky. It seems that the Sadowsky's are about 1200 more or so, are they worth the extra cash.

2. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I suggest that you try both, as you said there is quite abit of difference in price.
    I have both and personally prefer Sadowsky over the other one, but as I said many times Lakland is an excellent bass too.

3. I agree you should try them both and then use your judgement. They are both nice basses so what ever you go with I am sure you will be happy.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Not only are they both great, they're both really different and contain different flavors within each brand name. Each bass is an individual, so check them out yourself. There are some nice deals around the used market for Laklands...while Sadowskys tend to be quite a bit more due to shorter supply.

5. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001
    Thanks for the info guys, I have tried quite a few Laklands and liked them all, I have not got my hands on a Sadowsky yet, but noone seems to have anything negative to say. I suppose if the Lakland does the trick I should just go with that.

6. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey Scott... I own 2 Laklands and 2 Sadowskys.. They're both fabulous instruments and as the other guys stated, try them both... Is there anything in particular in sound and tone that you're looking for ??? Steven...

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally I didn't like the 55-94's sound. A friend of mine was selling one a while back & I didn't like it. The bass otherwise was AWESOME. Great feel, playability. The attention to detail was great.

I have a Sadowsky 24 fret &, IMO, it is the best bass I've ever played or owned in my life. I have a Vintage 4 on order also & I spoke to Frank (Sadowsky employee) this morning & it will be ready in a month!!!!!

I also just ordered a Lakland SkyLine 55-01. I received it today @ work & I was off & unable to get it. I will be in tomorrow. This will most likley be a back up to my Sadowsky 5 &/or Warmoth 5.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i took my Lakland to the Sadowky shop in NY- i tried it and compared them back to back- i preferred tha Lak- it offers me more tonal variety- i was also glad i did, since the Sadowskys are so much more $$- i guess i need the different sounds and that mid knob! but for whatever its worth , my basses now are an MTD635 and a Fodera Monarch5 - both of those i love- dont shoot me, its just an opinion!!:rolleyes:

9. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001
    Thanks again for the informative posts. I right now have a Modulus Genesis which I love, but want somthing new. I know eventually I will get to try a sadowsky and also maybe a fodera. With my luck I'll probably want both.

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Don't forget also that Lakland makes other stuff besides the 55-94 configuration. I couldn't get really happy with the Bart-loaded 55-94s myself and finally landed on a 55-63 with Basslines Js. I've had 2 of them now, one active, one passive and I loved them both.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

ready

aim

:D

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not as much as that Spalted Maple is hurting me:D

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Scott, the 55-94 and a Sadowsky are pretty different animals tonally. The 55-63 is a lot better comparison for a Sadowsky Jazz.

I've played several Laklands, and one Sadowsky. The Sadowsky blew away the Laklands in tone, except for one 55-63 that I played with Basslines. Laklands are very well constructed, but the Sadowsky I played(Jeff Rader's) was beyond any Lakland that I have ever seen.

The one Lakland that would really tempt me would be a 55-94 with Duncan Basslines, instead of the Barts. I don't like the way the Barts in the Laklands sound. I don't know if it is the particular pickups that they use, or if they just don't mix well with the construction and woods. I love the way the Bart soapbars in my Zon sound.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yeah!! you're hurting for a new bass!! HA!!!

thanks, he, he:p

16. The spalted maple on alder PJ4 that Sadowsky is building for my is going to slay you!:p More importantly, it's going to knock me out.

17. Someone say spalted maple and Sadowsky?

[​IMG]

Sadowsky Spalted #001.

Couple weeks away.

Can't wait!

:D

18. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    To me, the soapbars in the 55-01 are much better sounding than the MM/J configuration that was in my Deluxe....also, I loved the Bartolini soapbars that I played in a Zon Studio 5 at Bass Central...and, a Pedulla Thunderbass I played at GC. I am starting to see a pattern here!!! I am also thinking I was wrong about hating Bartolini electronics, becasue everyday i play my Zon plugged in, I grow to appreciate its sound...

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    With time comes enlightenment

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

With three you get eggroll.