1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland or SB5000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by n1as, Mar 29, 2013.

1. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm considering 2 instruments; Lakland Skyline 55-01 or the Carvin SB5000.

Which gives a better low-B sound?

- Keith -

2. skibass94

skibass94

Jul 10, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I own an SB5000 and I have actually compared it to a friend of mine's Skyline, and for both of us we agreed that the SB5000 was better. First off the build quality Carvin delivers is extremely good especially for the price range. They are roughly the same price and one is made in a shop in California vs. god knows where in Indonesia. They are both good basses, but for me there is no real question, Carvin all the way. Also SB5000 IMO sound a lot better and more versatile.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've never played a Lakland - Skyline or any other Lakland model. But I do own a Carvin SB5000, and I think it's impressive. :cool:

If a souped-up modern J tone is your kind of thing, you'd have a hard time finding a better instrument - at less than twice the price.

MM

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Well, I own a stock SB5K and a modded (Aggie pre, Nordy Big Singles) Korean-built 55-01.

OP, you asked specifically about the B string. For a piano-like tone, the Lakie is hard to beat.

But the SB5K is my main player. Its B is a very close second, and I prefer the body contours, the balance, the feel of the tung-oiled neck, and the overall tone of the Carvin.

YMMV, of course.

5. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    OP here - My son has the Lakland. I'm on Carvin's page right now placing my order for the SB5000.

My hope is the SB5000's low B string will be good enough. My old LB75 did NOT sound good on the low b but the Gecko that replaced it sure did.

I prefer a 34" scale for playability.

- Keith -

6. I own an SB5000 and I find the B string impressive.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Interesting... :meh:

I held off on buying an LB75 for years - because I wasn't convinced that the low "B" string would be good enough. I finally ordered one a couple of years ago...and I like it just fine - no complaints at all. I now I wonder why I waited so long.

MM

8. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    +1

I was genuinely shocked at how good the B-string is. It does better with a .130 rather than .125 in my opinion. I've owned Nordies, Sadowsky Metros, F-Bass, Fender Roscoe Beck, Pedullas. All had good to great B-strings, but the Carvin is definitely at the upper end. It's very articulate in that you can actually hear the notes well. The Lakland is great, too, but like you, I prefer a 34" overall, and it's a perfect compromise.

It's a functionally perfect bass. You may have preferences of style or sounds, but in perfect functionality and construction, it's right on.

9. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    The B is what I miss most about my traded SB5000. They really do have a great B.

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had a skyline jo5 and sb5000 at the same time. Sold the Carvin. I thought the lakland had more honest, deep, grunt. The sb5000 dazzled at home but disappointed with the band for me.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have an older Korean built 55-01D, with all stock parts and even Lakland round-wounds. The strings are the Lakland medium nickel set (.45 .65 .85 .105 .128).

The B is better than any other 5-string bass I have had, though my MTD 5er is close. Honestly, I have average small medium hands, but find 34" vs. 35" scale a trivial difference.

I know I have said it a lot here, but here it is again: I teach bass to kids (double bass). My youngest student is 9 and 1/2. He plays a 1/2 size bass which has a 37 1/2" scale. I have observed that even small individuals can handle large basses, if their technique and willingness to practice measure up. My two best bass teachers were medium/small women.

Fear no bass, LOL! The Carvin is a great bass and so is the 55-01. You will be happy with either. Just don't let 1 angry inch, (spread out over 35") scare you. :cool:

12. All I can say is that I have an SB5K and I absolutely love it. I use the B a lot and I have nothing to complain about. Never played a Lak so I can't give you a comparison. But the SB5K has a really solid B compared to a lot of others I've played. No regrets on my part, it's the first bass I go to and would be the last one I'd sell.

13. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    In my opinion the JO5 is a better bass than the 55-01 though. The JO5 or the SB5000 is a tough decision; the 55-01 or the SB5000 isn't. For me personally, I would go with the SB because I like the Carvin's B at 34" and the SB's tung oiled neck. You couldn't get my BB75 from me for two JO5's.

14. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    The Lakland that would be a better contender against the SB500O is either a Skyline DJ or JO . Their pickups are so sweet sounding, it's ridiculous. I've played a Spector Rebop, 55-01 w/ upgraded preamp , Fender 5 (w/ vintage cs pups), and my Roscoe(current). A drummer I've played with through all of them feels the DJ I had sounded the sweetest and I agree. I'd look for a used Skyline DJ5 or JO5.

The 55-01 plays nice and solid but the electronics should be upgraded asap for pro environments, imo.

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    +1 get a jo5!

16. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    I don't own a Lakland but my SB5000 E string is fat and clear. At a 34" scale to boot!
    Excellent build quality. Good price. Can't beat it :p

17. I have owned a Lakland 55-01, a JO5, a DJ5, a 55-02 and a 55-94, in addition to having also owned 2 SB5000s and 2 other Carvin 5ers.

IME, both B's are outstanding and, with the right strings, you should be happy with either. The pickups and preamp on the SB5000 is, IMHO, a big step up from the pre/pups on the 55-01. Thngs even out once you get into Lakland's LH-3 electronics

For me, it came down to scale. I, personally, found the 34" more comfortable to play. Since I'm giving up nothing on the B, it was a pretty easy choice. I no longer have any Laklands or SBs, but I do have a Carvin B50 and a B25P and their B's are excellent as well. The B25P is just a monster bass. If Lakland made a 34" 5 string, I wouldn't hesitate to go after one. But I'm keeping my Carvins...

18. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Thanks all!

Last week I ordered the SB5000. When it arrives I'll compare it head-to-head with my sons Skyline 55-01. If the Lakland wins, I can return the Carvin and order a Lakland.

... more to come in about 5 weeks.

- Keith -

19. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    Lakland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that I am biased.:ninja:

James

20. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Being biased is fine as long as we all know about it :D