Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland or Warwick fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gflowers, Nov 1, 2005.

1. gflowers

gflowers Sadowsky Nut Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm thinking of getting a fretless and I've narrowed it down to a Warwick Thumb NT fretless or a Lakland 55 series. Anybody like to contribute their two cents worth? How about NT vs. bolt-on for fretless?

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I prefer the corvette for fretless usually, but if you still want to go a Thumb, i love Warwick's fretless's.. So I say Warwick.
    Played a Lakland and wasn't that impressed with the sound..

3. gflowers

gflowers Sadowsky Nut Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I've heard that a lot of players like the Corvette. Any particular reason it's preferref over a Thumb? Is it the bolt-on neck? What?

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I think in the grand scheme of things, the only thing that it beats the tumb at is price, they're a lot cheaper.

I really dig fretless thumbs...look at this beauty...

[​IMG]

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    woah! thats a nice custom thumb fretless!

6. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

i seem to hear this a lot too and just scratch my head. I have a Thumb BO fretless 5 that i love!!! (nothin' against the vettes though - they are quite good and much cheaper). The NTs are even better yet, but are heavier and will set you back another grand (over the BO)!

As far as the Lakeland comparison, i think you'll here from folks in both camps. They are quiet different. Try to spend some time w/ both even if they aren't fretless. You'll get a good idea of the general sound - they way the bass feels will be a big factor (Warwicks are strange birds - definitely not for everyone).

I think just more people have tried them. All the GCs w/in 100 miles of here (there's 4) have a fretless corvette. the thumbs are never stocked fretless. Guess it's easy to prefer something over something you've never tried :meh:

The other thing is, many people just don't like thumbs - they don't balance well and are just weird if you're not used to them. Corvettes balance great. The ones I tried were quite heavy though (which is not what the Warwick spec sheet will tell you).

7. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love it when TBers explicitly ask for your two cents. :D

I would vote Warwick fretless since that is what I have. But if you're in the Thumb NT price range, how about a Pedulla Buzz. It's the only fretless I would give up my Warwick for (within reason, of course). Although I've never played that model Lakland, the Warwicks seem to have a bite to them that is hard to duplicate. But I would bet your decision may be based on the feel of the neck. :meh: