1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Out Of Business?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by imandan, May 19, 2011.

1. imandan

imandan

Apr 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just went to a prominent music store on 48th street in Manhattan(don't want to throw anyone under the bus) and when I asked if they carry Lakland basses the sales guy said that Lakland USA was finished and that Skylines will be the only Lakland basses available(and thru a third party). Anyone else hear of this?

2. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    Weren't they recently sold to another firm? Maybe that's what the store folks meant and they can't get any more basses from the new proprietors? Just a guess.

3. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I would have called Lakland 1st b4 posting... good reporting skills.
    We'll see

4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Lakland just moved to a new location at:

1811 W. Berteau Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60613
    773-871-9637
    888-608-2187 fax

and is still very much in business (US and Skyline)......the dealer got some bum info dude....

5. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    My internet skills show me that not only are they still in business; but, they seem to have a lot of new beautiful basses to offer.

Welcome to Lakland

6. MikeyB5

MikeyB5

Jan 21, 2008
    Chicago
    Hanson, the guys that make the new pickups and preamps for Lakland bought them last year. I saw a Lakland rep Sunday and he made no mention of it. I will see him next week and ask him.

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I was just at Lakland's brand-spanking new location eight days ago, so no.:D

Also, just for clarifity's sake, the "new folks" running the place are very much the old folks. John and Bo Pirricello are longtime Lakland employees who formed Hanson on the side to make pickups and guitars. They did leave Lakland about a year before the sale to focus on Hanson, but they were literally less than 100 feet away on the warehouse floor and in constant contact. They're also still friendly with and in touch with Dan Lakin. The rest of the staff is the same, too.

There was another wacky, totally false rumor coming out of one of the 48th street music stores recently about Lakland. I can't remember what it was about, so I can't find the thread, but...:meh:

8. Did he follow up that statement with "Woah, dude, you totally want a Warwick anyway, because Warwick AWESOMLY RULES!" and then begin to wave the horn sign while head bashing?

I mean, maybe he just left Guitar Center and went to work at this other store.

9. Geddy Lee bought Lakland. They're now called Leeland. True story.

10. imandan

imandan

Apr 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks ;)

11. because asking others opinions on an internet forum is analogous to news reporting

12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Ah, I found the thread. It was basically the same rumor, and it was a salesperson at Rudy's. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/lakland-not-making-us-instruments-anymore-746719/

Has the same person or store really been spreading this BS for more than two months now?:eyebrow:

13. imandan

imandan

Apr 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Now that the cat's out of the bag, yes I guess he/they have been. I'm quite glad to hear it's false as I'm a big fan of Lakland.
    Thanks for the help from almost all of you ;)

Back to the Daily Planet...:cool:

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

It is typical for competitors and disgruntled dealers to start spreading rumors when there are changes in a company.

15. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Fender bought them, now renamed Fendland but it's pronounced "FIEND-lund".

16. The dealer probably meant LakeLand.

17. IMHO. This Thread should be CLOSED - people see headlines like this and rumors get started -

18. LOL...I have not even begun to read ANY of this thread.
    I just saw the title.
    I was at Laklands new shop just last week.
    I can tell you, things at Lakland have never been better, or busier.
    There are new models rolling out. They are picking up new dealers.

Whoever is starting these lies....Thats all they are.

check out www.laklandowners.com

19. Glad to hear it's not true. Still, speaking of imports, I'd love to see 'em make a Skyline version of that '51 P!

20. I believe that's in the works!