1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Owners: Do you top load or thru-body your strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Goofball Jones, May 29, 2007.

1. Just curious on how you load your strings. If you're using Flats...how do you load them? I've heard top loading is the way to go, but I've heard different things from different people.

How is the Lakland bridge with top-loading and how do you think it alters it's tone?

2. I've done it both ways and can hear absolutely no difference. I load through the body on both my Celinder and Lakland... just because it's kind of cool:smug: If you prefer strings that don't come in a long enough version (either total string length or the way the taper sits on the saddle for taper wound or exposed core strings), you won't be giving anything up in tone, tension, etc. by going 'through the bridge' versus 'through the body' IME.

3. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Though I don't own a Lakland, I have the option on a P. I have chosen the bridge only because it reduces the angle of the string over the saddle. I like to think it's less tension but can't be sure.I'd bet it decreases the chance of breakage at the saddle though.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    "Common knowledge" has it that flats don't like the more severe break angle over the saddle when strung through the body.

On my (ex) 55-94, I tried loading Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats through the body. Two things:

1. There was no audible difference in tone when compared to strings through the bridge only.

2. The TI strings were fine.

Other flats, I don't know how well they handle the angle if they're strung through the body, but that was my experience.

5. I load through body just because I found strings long enough and the bass came that way. No use changing it if it works good for me although I have no proof that it would be different if I didnt string it that way.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Done both, heard/felt/saw/prophesied/smelt no difference.

I've had flats on a P for over a year now, strung through the body because I have no choice, and even with the EXXXTREME ANGLE!!! I've dealt with no detriment.

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Top-load.

If anyone hears a difference, they must have the ears of a bat!

Dan K.

8. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Agreed with all the previous posts, I hear very no difference either way.

I've strung my JO4 up with flats through the top load.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I don't load through the body as I always forget to look for strings made for 35" scale. Standard strings are too short on my 55-02 if I string throught the body.

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The only reason to go through body is if you have very low saddle heights and need to get some extra downward pressure on them.

11. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I've always gone through the body, no idea why. If it's true that it would mean more tension, then i'm all for it. I want my strings as tight as possible.

12. Through the bridge on all of mine.

13. Through the body, all the time.

14. +1....Same with me except in my case I use Sadowsky Flats and have no problem either through body or top loaded...

Peace,

T

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Depends on strings.

TI-flats are the only flats, I'll string thru-body.

D'Adarrio half-rounds
    DR-Low-Riders.
    Get thru-body.

Ken Smith Compressiors,
    Top load.

16. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    I may be imagining this but...

Although I hear no tonal difference, IMHE thru-body seems to eliminate string rattle at the bridge especially with lighter gauge strings. Now that rattle is not hearable through amp but is annoying nonetheless.

Again, this may just be my imagination. :bag:

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Up through the body.

18. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I've done both, and also can't detect any difference.

19. I'm a bottom loader.

Why?

There are holes back there, silly.

20. With flats, through the bridge would be easier on the string.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021