1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland Owners Group #69

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Feb 18, 2014.

1. NBD finally, blonde JO with binding and inlays.. so classy :)

C2CF65B1-E556-4A9F-9495-24499CD2D52B. D950E2B1-BA2E-498A-AE2B-C0D59DCB642C. 7F9CD3B0-946D-48A2-A35D-E4AB7C29F07E.

D0D04EBA-4B8E-461A-AE5F-F7F9C85952BB.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Please proceed. It's been on my watch list for weeks and I can't stand it any more. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger on it is because I enjoy the marital bond I have cultivated with my wife. it's amazing (the bass, not the marit... wait, it's amazing too, but we're talking about the bass, what are YOU talking about??) Anyhoo... You'll LOVE the ebony board and 35" scale... and the top oh my that top is beautiful

please put me out of my misery!

3. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Awesome! If you happen to have a pic of the SS, please post. I would love to see that as well.

Which config do you use most, neck pu, bridge, or both? I prefer both most of the time. Neck only has so much low end, I find it a little tricky to use on the fly because EQ needs to be tweaked. I do like that tone as well though.

halfwound121 likes this.
  4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

Great collection!

I have the cousin to your 4460 chisonic!

Same color and with blocks.
    . Love it!

halfwound121 likes this.
  5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    That's awesome

6. I'll keep you all updated! Hopefully I'll have it in my hands tomorrow...:D

OnederTone and basspraiser like this.
  7. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2011
    marion, south carolina
    Dean Foods milk and ice cream, juice and belly-wash. I promise not to promote them here.
    On the long scale, I use both at even volume. On the short scale, the bridge pickup is a bit tinny, so I favor the neck. Not a great pic, but you can get the gist. Beautiful finish and neck. The tone control is push-pull to switch to single-coil, which I never use because it thins out the sound. fullsizeoutput_1635. 1

Si-bob, metron, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  8. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2011
    marion, south carolina
    Dean Foods milk and ice cream, juice and belly-wash. I promise not to promote them here.
    I've owned another short scale and a Skyline Decade, both with Chi-Sonics. I hated the sound of the short scale pickups, and tried to replace them with single-coils. That was a complete failure. One of the pickups had a dead magnet, with no sound on the E and A strings. The other pickup just sounded thin. Both were bought from BestBassGear, custom ordered, and they did me a solid and took them back with full refund. I ended up selling the SS with the original pickups. The Skyline was awesome and I only sold it when I bought the US one shown. Bottom line, I've had mixed results with the Decade Chi-Sonics. The Jazz bass Chi-Sonics sounds fantastic, better than the standard jazz single-coils on my JO.

9. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Beautiful bass indeed, thanks for posting! So those are humbuckers with a single coil option? Interesting...

halfwound121 likes this.
  10. Love that Decade! Then again, I love any Lakland Decade! :D
    Not so many black ones out there. This one looks a lot like mine, but mine has Darkstars and a rosewood board.

halfwound121 and JEDI BASS like this.
  11. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    I’ve asked the question about the price increases, largely because I want to know what a 55-64 will set me back in 2020 after my 2019 self-imposed bass gear abstinence challenge lol.

Si

basspraiser likes this.
  12. Speterc

Speterc

May 22, 2017
    This is one of the coolest basses I've seen.

OnederTone and basspraiser like this.
  13. The black pickguard was an excellent choice. Really dresses it up. Awesome bass! Congratulations!

basspraiser likes this.
  14. What kind of pickups?

15. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Guys, anyone have insight on how a 44-14 would compare to a 44-94 and a 44-02? I’d love a 44-94 but can’t find exactly what I’m looking for (flamed maple 3TS, Birdseye maple board), and $4k new does not seem like a good value to me, even if it’s a great bass.

I have a 44-02 that I really enjoy, but can’t help but feel like an American lakland would be that much more dear. I found a 3TS with a maple board (obvi it’s alder, no figures too, board is not Birdseye since it’s a classic version) new for about $2300. Is that bass $1800 better than the 44-02 I got for a smoking deal of $500? Is the ash body, and better detailing found on a deluxe 44-94 $1700 better than a 44-14? Anyone have experience on both an ash and alder lakland of the same model to compare and tonal differences?

Thanks!

16. overbybr

overbybr Supporting Member Supporting Member

I forget, is that an older JO? The aging of the maple is just so nice! My headstock on Old Blue is nice and yellowed like that and it look awesome, with the cream colors on that bass it just screams vintage! Very nice, you have some of the coolest basses!

Tom P likes this.
  17. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I had a older 494 with alder, and by the way you can order a deluxe as alder too if you want, I personally found with the 4494 set up and pickups the alder didnt cut through as much a I would have liked. Yet my 4460 with alder cuts through all day. I think the pairing of the pickups and electronics in a 4494 just works better with ash

As far as the deluxe goes it is all in the eye of the buyer
    My quote on quote deluxe 4460 (as it was totally custom) was worth every penny because it is a totally custom bass. As will be a deluxe if you spec it as you wish. But if you don't have desired specs then a deluxe may not be what you want or need. Depends what you want

18. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Thanks for the insight. I really like my 44-02. It has a great classic, round bass guitar sound that emulates some classics close enough but still has some of its own character in a way that I can’t really picture wanting to play anything else. But for some reason I also don’t think a more upscale version is worth $4k. To me, that territory seems more appropriate for more exotic basses with more exotic woods, neck thrus with multipiece striped necks, etc. a flamed maple top in and of itself doesn’t seem to warrant all that extra cash. Quite a conundrum.

19. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    My first Lakland was a ‘99 or 2000 tobacco burst 55-94 deluxe with insane birdseye board. It started my Lakland collecting and is the standard I compare everything too. Nothing is it’s equal and someday I’ll get her back from my friend Aaron. He paid me more than twice what I bought it for with the promise to only sell it to me. So far, he hasn’t wanted to sell her.

Anyways, I would not mess with the magic that seems to start with ash, maple top, and birdseye board. That combo is THE winner everytime.

basspraiser and Tom P like this.
  20. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I personally went koa on mine. I can tell you the US necks are special. Just my feeling but leagues above the skyline necks in feel and quality

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    basspraiser, Tom P and JEDI BASS like this.