1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland Owners Group #69

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Feb 18, 2014.

1. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    Pictures? Not to rub salt in this wound... would love to see her

JEDI BASS likes this.
  2. Tom P

Tom P Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2004
    David has an eye for the “vintage “ Laklands! I know what you mean about that yellowing. I would like to see a family pic.

basspraiser likes this.
  3. I pulled the trigger on my first Lakland and it's a beauty! It's my first time buying a bass since 2008. I've been rockin a MiM Fender Jazz Bass with Custom Shop '60s pickups. The Fender is a workhorse and I love it but right when I touched the neck of the Lakland, I was blown away. It's silky smooth and very fast. I never really noticed how glossy (almost sticky) feeling my Fender was until I spent some time with this Lakland!

It's a joy to play and I can't wait to spend more time with this amazing bass. This bass makes me want to play more bass! It's a beautiful thing...
    20190110_193143. 20190110_193152. IMG_20190110_193421_655.

4. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Beautiful

5. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I think you'll find minor differences in the -14 from the -94, and likewise from the -02. the stiffness from the quarter sawn from flat sawn neck with graphite reinforcement gives them a bit more "pop" in the midrange to my ear... You'll be limited to the few color choices available, unlike multiple options for the -94. I think the dots on the neck face are different, but that's very minor... Extremely cool to see a birdseye dot, but it's still minor...

I think there are LOTS of deals here and on reverb that put a 44-94 in your hands for cheaper than the 44-14, Used basses of this level are usually well taken care of... so you've got a good bet that you can find some magic there...

So... I lucked out and picked up a late 90's "hybrid" Dan has said it was a one off testing the waters of US neck and components with an offshore body... so while not an official 4-94, it's as close as a 44-14... and you know what... contrary to my previous assertion that Skylines are every bit as good as US basses... there's something different there... it spoiled me. within 6 months I sold my 2 5 string skylines to buy a 55-94... and it is definitely different than the skylines I've owned and, *for MY current financial situation* worth every penny.

That said... I kept Skyline 44-60 and 44-64 (well horse traded for a -64 custom, did some neck swappage... tuner and pu changes etc) and kept a 44-02 Fretless... I'm happy with them... the investment for those is equal to the amount of playing time they get... the 44-02 fretless neck feels way different from my -94 hybrid... not bad, just different... it seems thinner, both in profile and width, more... Jazz like... maybe I should measure it... :)

Long story short... if you have the money with out having to sell plasma and keeping your bills paid, every step up in the lines is worth it; but you'll be just as happy with the souped up Toyota as the off the lot Lexus.

6. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    giphy.

7. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    My friends, I have a 06 Duck Dunn Skyline that has been wasting away for years as I pretty much only play my SB-2. I'm gassing for a L-1000 and have offered up the DD on a local FB musician's group. I received an offer for a trade for a Skyline Decade, black headstock, unsure of year + $$. Having never played the Decade, let alone held one or seen one in person (but having seen them online before and liked the look), I'm curious.

If I do it and don't like it, I can always put the Decade on the block. Plus I'd be up $$ in my Bass Fund. But I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

I've read that the Decade can be J-bassish, which I'm not opposed to, but I've never loved. As in, I love hearing others play a J, but I never like to play it myself. Plus, the J bodystyle has never been my favorite.

Anyway, give me some thoughts about trading for a bass sight unseen. Thanks!

8. You have a hand in this, Oneder! I just needed someone to enable me and confirm that this was a good decision :D It'll have a good home here with me

basspraiser likes this.
  9. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I think people say the Decade is J bass like only because it's a 2 pickup VVT setup. it hands on a strap different, and definitely sounds different due to the hum bucking chi sonics and their placement... it's much thicker sounding... more growl... if you love P's but dislike J's it may be a flavor you never knew you'd like...

if you don't like it call me.

:)

GregC and lildrgn like this.
  10. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I tried listening to some of the sounds on the Lakland site. The only sound that fit my rock band is "heavy rock" and it was all pick style. I'll go back and listen to some of the fingerstyle and other samples later.

basspraiser likes this.
  11. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    IMG_3107.

It's been a while since i shared a family photo.. so here it is... Starting top center, by 55-95 Birds eye maple top, Fretted ebony board... Black 44-94 hybrid Rosewood with Barts, Skyline 44-02 Fretless (ebony board) 44-64 Custom with Aguilar PJ's and the 44-60 Stack knob with Aguilar 60's J pups...

GregC, basspraiser, davidak and 3 others like this.
  12. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    It is interesting you say this...I feel the same way. Everybody talks about how the neck profile of USA Laklands and Skylines are the same. Well, not to my hands! There is a difference! So I had a 2 55-60s, fretless and fretted, a DJ5, and a 55-64. All of those went away and now I have 3 55-94s. A '98, '99 and '17. Best basses ever!

13. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Drkwdsman@yahoo Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
    Had one of my buddies who is a session bass player come hang out to play all of my current basses and he wants the 55-63 if I ever sell it due to how the neck feels. I was trying to sell him on the Lull P5 (he just recently bought a Lull P4) so I could buy another Lakland.

GregC and JEDI BASS like this.
  14. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

Major congrats!!!

Play it long and loud!

chlandon likes this.
  15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

Very awesome

OnederTone likes this.
  16. Tom P

Tom P Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Congrats - love the perfect alignment of the strings and pole pieces.

basspraiser and chlandon like this.
  17. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The Decade (singles or humbuckers) reminds me in alot of ways of a T-40. I mean that as a good thing and it's probably due to the pickup position. Two pickups pushed toward bridge and neck is definitely my favorite combo.

18. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I’m not a fan of the Decade. They hang weird on me, with the short upper horn and neck shifted bridge, it made my left hand land several frets higher than expected. That was enough for me to move on. If you want a traditional feeling bass with a single coil near the neck, get a Scheff. I friggin love mine!!

basspraiser likes this.
  19. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    And I always play my T-40s in single coil mode, which again explains why I love them and my Scheff so much. The Scheff is a T-40 with singles.

basspraiser likes this.
  20. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    Fred312b likes this.