Lakland owners! please help me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davelowell, May 28, 2001.

1. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    does the toggle switch achieve stingray sounds and jazz single coil sounds as well? i have not had the chance to play one, so i am curious. i like the sounds of a jazz with both pups on and i love my stingray, so i thought this would be a best of both worlds kinda thing. waddya think?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    in my opinion, not at all. the both coils mode on the toggle switch doesnt really sound like a stingray at all. i have a 5594 with bartolini's so i kind of wonder what the duncans sound like. to me it just sounds like a bartolini humbucker bridge pickup soloed and not like a musicman.
    with the the front pickup on and the mm split to the bridge coil it does sound kind of like a jazz bass with both pickups on full. with a modern edge and not extremely authentic but it does the job.
    with the mm soloed and split to the bridge it sounds more like a jazz bass than mm sterling in single coil mode but it still doesnt sound like a jazz bass.
    here's what i think is odd- i just bought a warmoth bass off ebay,wenge neck,swamp ash body,and single bart triple coil musicman pickup. i rewired it so only the bridge coil is on since theres no toggle swith. this bass sounds alot more like a jazz bass with the bridge pickup soloed than the lakland. even though they have the same also sounded more like a musicman when it was wired in series than the lakland.
    so a lakland has more of its own voice than that of a musicman or a fender. and if you want one mine is for sale for 1800.00
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I don't think it sounds like a Jazz in any way, either. I own both a 55-94 with Barts and also a new model they're calling a 55-63 Dual J, which is all passive and has 2 Duncan Basslines J I can give you a pretty good comparison. To me, the toggle on the 55-93 works the same as the switch on a MM5 or Sterling, just gives you various coil combos but never a sound like a single coil. The big difference is that a J-bass is passive, and it's hard to get an active pickup to sound like that. I like my 55-63 dual J much better than my 55-94, FWIW.
  4. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    IMHO, my Lakland 55-94 sounds like a Lakland 55-94 and nothing else. But I like it. :)
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I have to agree that the toggle isn't going to get you very close to a Stingray sound, no matter how you EQ the 55-94. However, set the toggle switch to the rear, and favor the rear pickup to your taste, and the 55-94 can approximate a J-bass sound. However, I've said it before, if you want a J-bass sound, you're gonna need a J-bass.

Further, I must also agree with Phil ... the 55-94 ended my search for "my sound." That's not to say I don't enjoy breaking out the J-bass and the Stingray every now and then. They're both great, classic basses in their own right.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree with previous posts. The Lakland has it's own sound. I love the Jazz bass tone and the Lakland doesn't quite have the authentic jazz tone no matter how you tweak it.

On the other hand, as far as playability, my Lakland is very easy to [play. it's very comfortable as it hangs on you. Its also comfortable in a sitting position as well. Its neck feels great, the action can be set low or high, and the B string has a nice tension with gives a great firm, punchy sound with good definition.

The Musicman sound is not my thing, so I run it with both pickups even, but the MM is run with only the bridge coil on. Preamp is run with the treble slightly up, mids flat, and bass slightly up. Not quite a jazz tone, but I like it.