Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Pick-ups ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slybass3000, Feb 26, 2006.

1. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    Who did try them out yet? I look forward to know.

SB

2. There's a recent thread on the bass site talking about the Lakland get together in Chicago. I was a little frustrated reading that thread.... lot's of general comments, but nobody could seem to describe the new pickups in useful terms to me (directly comparing the tone to the Duncans, or Barts). Lot's of 'what a bass should sound like' stuff... but I still don't have any clue as to how they differ from the stock Barts or optional Duncans in the 94 series.

Also, very limited description of the new pre... regarding the frequency centers, the actual function of the DIP's etc.

However, if you search on Lakland, it should come up.

3. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    I too would like to get a good comparative description of the new pups as to how they sound. Sound clips would be even better. I have a 4-94 with Barts which I like but I'm always looking for that little extra.

4. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Sorry if those descriptions weren't useful to you. But I have the feeling if you had played one of those basses, you might have made very similar comments.

We compared Barts to the new Lakland pickups and preamp in two 55-02's. We didn't compare Duncans because Dan says maybe only 5% or so if his basses end up with Duncans. He also says the majority of those who get Duncans end up not liking them and switch.

The differences between the Barts and the Laklands were subtle - not extreme. Therefore, I think many people chose more subtle descriptions. "More headroom," "tighter," "clearer," etc. And those are entirely truthful descriptions.

5. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Following up on Dale's comments above, when I played them side by side I found the Lakland electronics to be very similar to the Barts. I don't know if this explanation will help any, but the most striking difference to my ears was that the high end on the Barts sounded more like an active bass with the treble boosted, whereas the Lakland had a smoother, more natural sounding high end.

I have nothing useful to say about the pre itself because I didn't fiddle much with it. That's not what I do. I'm much more of a set it flat and go kind of guy.