1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Pickguard poll....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PWV, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Skyblue Pearl

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. Black/white/Black

35 vote(s)
    57.4%
  3. Standard white (came with it, no pics)

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. What's a pickguard?

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    Just picked this up from a fellow TB'er, a sweet JO4 with Chisonics. I have a thing against white pickguards I guess, so here's the two replacements that just arrived from Jeannie's. Which one y'all prefer? Skyblue Pearl or standard Black/white/black? Finish is Ice Blue Metallic. I haven't mounted these yet, I really like 'em both.

Apologies for the fuzzy photos, but hopefully they give you the idea.

DSCN0825.

DSCN0849.

Edited for different pics because it really is ice blue, and the first pic is the actual color. Now I've totally thrown the poll...yikes!

2. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    I think the BWB is the way to go between the two. I have the same bass, same color, but rosewood. White is not bad either, but not as nice with a maple board in my opinion. I have pearl on mine, but I think it works with the rosewood.

3. I voted black. Now if the bass was white, then the Skyblue Pearl would be a perfect match, like in the bass below. But the bass isn't white, so black is the best option of the ones that you have here IMO.
    100_1064.

May I also ask how you like the chi-sonics in comparison with the aeros (or other "standard Jazz" pickups)?

4. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    I'll through my two cents in here if that's OK. I have a US JO and a US JO with ChiSonics. Just got the one with the ChiSonics and still putting it through it's paces. But, so far the ChiSonics are thicker in tone throughout the range. Seem to have a glassier top and a heavier bottom. Standard J pickups sound great and vintage, ChiSonics sounds a little more modern. Hope this helps!

5. I like Standard White

6. Hmm, that's interesting. What about that standard, growly soloed bridge pickup sound? Do you think that they can do it convincingly?
    And thanks by the way.

7. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    No problem! Yes...they do it quite well. They're more throaty that the standard pickups. They seem more musical sounding to my ears if that makes sense. Love them both, but just in different ways.

8. Thanks once more. I need to check them out in person one time.
    And sorry for hijacking the thread a bit PWV:D

9. nodisco

nodisco

Dec 9, 2007
    Estonia
    My vote went to black/white/black.
    Skyblue Pearl is... not my personal taste.

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    someone posted in another thread that the Chi-sons require a lighter touch. He said he had to lighten up on his heavy hands, as in to play with a lighter touch. I'm pretty heavy handed and have Skyline JoBo 5er coming with Lakland pups next week. I play a 55-02 w/maple fretboard, pretty hard and I get that "thwack" sound on the G string alot. That could be my hands or the maple board not sure or even the strings, Labella Nickel Slappers right now.

Hoping the rosewood board on the Jobo will alleviate that. I plan to put some Sunbeams on it first then prolly flats for good after that. Looking forward to getting this bass. Oh yeah its coming with stock white picgard, Im ordering either a pearloid white or black/cherry marble from Jeannies', the bass is a nice, grainy, sunburst.

11. silver pearl would fit me thinks... this is just a little too blue, so... between these two: black-white-black

12. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    i really like the black with the sky blue metallic. sweet bass by the way, i was very tempted to buy that one myself. i ended up buying a standard U.S. JO4, but i am a HUGE fan of the chi's, i will own a chi loaded osborne someday soon.

13. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    You welcome! Hope I helped! Yeah, you really need to play it to see what I'm talking about.

14. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    I don't think you need a lighter touch. I play pretty hard, and have three ChiSonic equipped basses.

15. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Here's mine with Pearl guard:
    [​IMG]

16. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    But which one makes the bass SOUND better? :D

Thanks for the input - I'll point out that I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to pickguard tastes. Always been a Black or Tort fan, never liked white. I've had a couple of Antique Pearloids from Roger that I really liked (both were on CAR finishes). Talked with Roger, he recommend staying away from standard tort for this finish and that made sense. He also suggested the antique/white pearl for the ice-blue, but I wanted to jump out on a limb and try something different. Originally, I just was going to order just the bwb.

Roger said there is only one other Skyblue Pearl guard manufactured, its the one on basspraiser's white DJ shown in this thread. Now there are two in the world! In its defense (with the IB JO anyway), its hard to photograph and it does bring out the blue in the ice-blue. Its got some bling, but so does day-glo pink on a platinum blonde gal. I prefer a red-head in a sweater and jeans myself. The Skyblue pearl color is much more accurate in the DJ5 photo than my basement blur shot.

And I have no problem buying an extra guard from Jeannie's even if I don't use it. He's a true artist who deserves our commerce.

Re: the Chi's. I don't think they require a lighter touch. You can still dig, pop, and slap, etc - I'm a finger-style player. Nobody has made this comparison yet, but to me they are like a dialed-down MFD pickup from G&L. I love the MFD's, but sometimes they're too sensitive for my playing-style. The Chi's have that fat bottom like the MFD's, but they won't "splat" like my L2K used to do. Overall, more "modern" tone with the Chi's than the trad single coil, but still sounds like a jazz.

I asked one of the band-leaders I work with for his 2cents. He said "the first one is gay. The second one is macho and rawks." I know who pays the bills - the black one stays. :cool:

17. VICTORY!:D

18. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    I second that! I love redheads.

19. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Try taking another picture with it away from the red of the case, I think the red makes it look a lot worse than it should.

20. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Okay, that's just sexy.