1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland pickup placement?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, May 12, 2011.

1. Is the place of the Lakland pickups with the outer coil of the humbucker on equivalent to that of a 60s or 70s jazz?

2. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    70's Jazz. The idea was that splitting the coil toward the front gave you approximate 60s spacing, the back coil gives you 70s spacing. It's not EXACT, but close enough that with some EQ adjustments it's pretty convincing.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That seems right. The back coil is more nasal than the front. Not exact, but close enough. Not the exact "musician" sound or placement either but close enough for sure.

Only had it a coupe days but I'm liking the used 44-02 with Barts I just got. Tin, fast neck, nice tone, a pound lighter than my former jazz, it's all good. I forgot ho much I like Lakland. I wish I could afford a special order 34" scale 5 string.

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    For what it's worth, I A/B'ed my 44-02 with the '70s' coil selection vs. my '75 Jazz and I was able to get VERY close to the Jazz's sound (slightly more trebly, more tight mid punch) with the 44-02 by panning ever so slightly toward the front to add a little more low-end focus, and boosting the bass just a hair. The Stingray sound isn't perfect (both coils on, pickup pan just on the MM pickup), but it gets very close with a hair of bass and treble boost, and a slight mid cut. They placed the MM pickup where it is to allow for the Jazz Bass approximations moreso than the Stingray. Lakland has made limited numbers of a 44-76 model, which is the 44/55-94 body style with the MM pickup in the true StingRay location. Sexy basses... wish I had one!

5. Actually, I'm borrowing a bass exactly like that from Aaron (Hollow Man). Technically the model name would be the 54-94. This thing is soooooo badass but I couldn't afford to buy it off of him at the moment. It would make a perfect compliment to my American Deluxe Jazz as a second fretted 5er.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Is it one of the few 34" scale basses they built? Not many of those!

I really like my 55-94...

Dan K.

7. Not many at all. This one in particular has a few things beyond that that make it one of a kind. 23 frets and totally passive with three volume controls and a tone control.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    my old 5594 when split sounded like a typical 60's spaced bart equipped jazz. when split to the front coil and blended with the neck it didnt sound fender like at all. if that was pushed so far back to where the bridge coil was in 70's position the musicman setting would be pretty weak.