1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Preamp Issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lorddaftplayer, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Fellow TBers,

I ran several searches for this issue but found nothing on point, so I'm opening a new thread. I just purchased a new Lakland Skyline 55-02. Nice playing instrument, but I'm concerned that the preamp isn't right. I hear a slight hum through my amp in different rooms/houses. The hum goes away when I switch to passive mode, which bypasses the preamp. The hum diminishes somewhat when I don't boost the treble. Strangely, the hum goes away when I boost the midrange all the way. If I boost it part way, the hum appears. The mid boost at center detent results in almost no hum. The midrange knob is unusually powerful, almost like another volume knob when I boost it. The bass and treble boost knobs do not dramatically increase the
    volume.

At first, I thought I had a grounding issue, but all of the soldering looks good and nothing appears to be grounding out. I have adjusted the mid boost frequencies, as per the Lakland website, but this has no affect on the extreme volume boost from the mid-pot. The Lakland website does not have any instructions concerning preamp output adjustments.

So I have a crazy mid-pot and a mild hum. I can return this bass to Guitar Center within 30 days (Whoo-hoo!). Does anyone have any idea what's going on with these electronics? Any insight would be appreciated. :rollno:

Thanks,

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I would email Leo@lakland.com to see what he thinks....since it is new they should fix it....or at least give you an idea of what nay be happening!

Cheers

Doug

3. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    This is normal. I had the same issues to the T with my 55-02 and talked to Lakland about it.

The midpot controls everything. Scoops almost everything out or boosts way too much.

Just wasn't my thing. I don't need that much mid control on a bass, in fact I don't even care if I have it, since I can use pickups to change the mid focus.

Anyway, I sold mine to a guy who really likes it and went back to a J style Lakland with no active pre. Much happier.

One thing you can do is try lowering the trim. It is a screw on the circuit board. Be gentle as it turns rather easily.

4. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
  5. Praiser and Crusher,

Thank you very much! I finally found a midboost frequency that works well with my rig, 1100hz. This setting tames the midboost a bit. I haven't messed with the trim yet. Is it clockwise to raise and counterclockwise to cut? The preamp still hums, though. I have 2 active Spectors with OBP 3s and they are silent, so I don't like the hum. Crusher, did your 55-02 hum?

Thanks again,

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I just recently traded a 55-02 but it was dead silent unless the neck pickup was solo'd. I always kept in them blended. Have you checked the AC in your house? Check to make sure the outlets are properly grounded.

7. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    this MAY be the issue...but the OP says it happens in other places as well....

8. Thanks for the info, DW. I called Kevin at Lakland and he says the preamp is supposed to be silent, like your 55-02 was. He gave me instructions for adjusting the internal trim screw, which controls output. I'm going to try that tonight. And yes, the bass hums at my drummer's house also. There could be interference at both houses, but my active Spectors are silent in both houses. Will keep y'all posted.

Thanks again,

9. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Cool.... if the trim does not work send it in.....to lakland

...and Kevin Is a GREAT guy!

10. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

My 55-02 is dead silent regardless of pick up selection. It can be suspect to some RF Interference in some venues, but even then, not bad enough to really notice. Try the fix Kevin suggested. If that doesn't work, follow Doug's suggestion and send it to Lakland. They'll make it right. It's a fantastic bass when everything works as it should.

Good luck.

11. Thanks for the info CElton! The more data, the better. Well, I adjusted the preamp output trim and I still have my hum. Since Guitar Center has a 30 day return policy this bass is going back. I'm going to find a store that has a couple in stock that I can demo and choose the one I like best. No more mail ordering! Thanks to all for the input and suggestions, I'm new to Lakland basses and hearing from experienced TBers has been helpful.

Thanks again,

12. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Lakland basses are awesome. I'd suggest demoing different models if possible to find your favorite. I personally think their 5 string J bass copies are magic since they take a lot of the things missing from a lot of J's and modernize them a bit with a longer scale, graphite reinforced neck, thru body stringing, hipshot tuners..etc.

13. Thanks, AngelCrusher. There are a lot of design elements, you mentioned most of them, that I really like about Lakland basses. Every one I have touched has been a player. Great low action and easy playing necks right out of the box, even. I'm working on getting another 55-02. I sent my last one back to Guitar Center. I like the 55-02 because the pickup configuration gives me a heavier sound than a jazz bass. When I finally get a 55-02 that I like, I may replace the pups with some Nordstrands to get a bit more metallic grit and thickness that I like.

Party On,

14. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Sounds good. Yes the tone is that humbucking music man tone for sure. I finally made peace with the fact that I never liked that tone for my style ofplay (owned a MM, a Warwick Corvette and a 55-02).

I also do not like all those tonal options. I am real simple I guess. Love the J bass 2 knobs and I love the sadowsky 2 knob pre. Just keeps things real simple and I don't second guess myself. Everyone is different there. A lot of people love the G&L l2000 because it has so many tones. I find it amazing, but too many options for me.

Anyway great bass, enjoy it. It really delivers if you like to roll off the treble and go for a fat round, R&B tone. The Lakland necks are so, so good.

15. Thanks, man! You're so right about the fat R&B tone, I was loving it for covering Pride & Joy. Great fat sound. I decided to add a five string to my sound about a year ago and, being a Spector guy for 30 years, I just bought a used Euro 5 LX. Never could get used to the narrow string spacing. My quest for a five string that was more comfortable for me eventually led me to Lakland. Ain't nothing wrong with simple, either. As long as you can get a sound that you like, simple is better, IMO. A lot of my sound comes from my hands, anyway.

Thanks again,

16. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've owned a bunch of nice basses. Sold a bunch of them off. The one I've owned longer than any of them is my 55-02. I've thought of selling it, but when I do, I play it back to back with my other basses, and tonally, it just kills them.

Mine is dead quiet. Quieter than any bass I've ever owned, even passive ones. My Lakland has got a home with me for a long time.

17. Thanks for the info, Chad, I appreciate it. Laklands are great basses. Picked up my latest 55-02 last night and it appears to be fine in every way. Am taking it to practice tonight and gigging with it Friday night. It took me awhile to find the right 55-02 but I think I finally found it!

Thanks again,