Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland preamp settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey, I'm new to the Lakland preamp, have my first fiver coming next week.

Since the MM pickup is basically two in one with it's own pickup selector, I'd really like to know about favorite preamp settings.

Also, when not "blending" the MM pickup, are they single coils with hum, or does the other pickup humbuck for the one being used?

Also, what freq do you have the midpoint dipswitches set to?

Thanks in advance for all the tips from you Lakland vets out there!!

2. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I KNOW there's a bunch of Lakland users out there... surely there must be a few with some tips on squeezing the most tone out of these animals! :)

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Welcome to the Lakland Club!

I'd like to help you with somesuggetions, but I need to know which model bass and which pickup system does it have? (single MM? 55-94 configuration? other?)

The dual MM pickup is pretty versatile by itself, and how you configure it really will determine the character of the sound you get from the bass. My mid dip is set at 500 hz. I haven't noticed any buzzing, mostly because I think each individual coil is a humbucker (I could be wrong though). My 55-94's are easily the most versatile basses I own, mostly because of the sonic options available from the MM pickup blended with the neck pickup.

4. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Thanks! I couldn't be more excited. Crazy, I've never touched one before... any model... buying on reputation, reading, and mp3 sounds alone. :)

oops, yeah, 55-02 Deluxe, which I'm pretty sure is totally identical to the USA 55-94.

Exactly! This and the mid freq dipswitch are the two main points of interest! :)

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I set my DIP switch at 500, although I have used the 700 in the past. My general jack-of-all-trade setting is as follows:

Bass and treble slightly boosted, mid flat.
    Blend centered (both pickups on)
    Rear coil only on bridge pickup.

Depending on a lot of other things, this should start you toward a Jazz-ish type sound. For a P-Bass sound, try this:

Bass slightly boosted, mid and treble flat.
    Blend centered (both pickups on)
    Front coil only on rear pickup

Obviously, soloing the MM pickup will produce that type of tone. I also use both pickups with both coils on the MM pickup. Think DEEP Stingray.

Are all of these authentic, "true" reproductions of the real thing? Nope, but they are all close enough to reproduce the characters of each. Your amp settings , speakers, etc will have a big impact on the sound also, so YMMV with these suggestions.

Hope all of this helps!

6. I love the variety of sounds I can get out the 55-02. Very cool bass... I generally run the pickups balanced. The basic sound of the bass is very nice. The choice of sound though depends on the band situation you're playing in. I know this sounds dumb but it took me a little while to figure out that I could cut the treble and mid to get a really rich sound. In my covers band I also like to boost the bass and treble high, completely cut the mids and use just the MM for a really punchy "MM" like tone (though purists will argue that the Bart pickups can't really mimic the MM sound). Bear in mind that the preamp boost is 15db so you get a much hotter signal - time to turn down the volume!

I've kept the mid frequency dip switches set at the default setting. I did play around with this a little, but came back to the default (500Mhz?).

I've found soloing the neck pup (Jazz) doesn't produce any noticeable hum.

What finish are you getting? f/b wood?

Mine: [​IMG]

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yes VERY helpful info! Much appreciated! :)

My 55-02, due later this week, is this one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156383

It's not the most highly figured veneer I've seen on these, but still very nice, and I like the fact that the Groove Shoppe hand picks all their basses, which should assure me an especially nice 55-02 as they go (tho I'm sure they're all great based on what I've read). In particular, they really praised the B on this one, comparing it to much "higher end" basses, which they certainly know well. :) This is pretty critical to me. I just can't deal with a weak B at all... especially after owning a Roscoe... :)

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    This thing is a total winner. I find myself hovering around the bridge pickup in "blend" mode and the two pickups blended with the bridge pickup either "blended" or in the bridge position, but I also very much enjoy all three positions of the bridge pickup as well as the neck pickup solo'd.

On the bridge pickup, I find myself adding a touch of bass. Other than that, I really don't find myself requiring much of the EQ, and yes, the default mid setting is 500Hz.

The bottom line is, I just love the native tones of this monster. I can't wait to gig with it. It seems to purr a little nicer through my EBS head than my GK, but both really sound great.

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congrats and welcome to the club vic. I hope you had a good holiday. I leave everything on the bass flat. Everything at 50/50, and change it on the amp. If I need a little something in the middle of a song, then I adjust the bass' eq. I love the 55-02's. They are incredible basses.

-Steve