Lakland Prices Insane?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Feb 28, 2006.

1. had a look at the australian distributor's prices for lakland....and i gotta say, im stumped....both skylines
    44-01 = $1650aus
    44-02 = $2795aus
    (according to the book models L44-01M and L44-02M)

2. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    man.. seriously..

you will get a brand new 55-02 Deluxe including hardcase for just around AUD$2200 DELIVERED (thats including GST, Duty and all that jazz).

or better yet pick up a used on on here for between USD$800-$900...

shipping a bass from the USA should not run you more than USD$200

buying local is just captain insane-o.

I won't even buy strings locally.. umm AUD$25 per pack delivered from eBay or AUD$85 per pack and I even get to drive out there and pick them up!
  3. ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    that's not that expensive...(i'm from the uk)

the 44-01 is GBP £700 or USD $1,220
    the 44-02 is GBP £1,183 or USD $2,067

doesn't seem that unreasonable... :S
  4. This is even stupider.... I've been reading posts for about 3hours and I've been drinking, I just had to agree with the fact that local prices suck and that buying on the US 'grey market' really is the way to go.
  5. I believe the guys at the Dudepit can ship Laklands wherever they want, and would have better prices.
  6. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    fyi last I checked dudepit prices are basically the same as bass central..
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I got my 55-02 Deluxe new, for about £1100 and I thought that was exceptionally good value for money! :)
  8. basadam

Nov 29, 2005
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought you said "Turnkey" - a shop in London!! I was puzzled for a few minutes there!! :D
  10. I feel your pain from across the ditch in NZ. The local prices (here even more so than in Aus I think) are huge compared to the US. I was in NYC last year in September, went into Guitar Center and just about died. A MM Stingray 5 was $1039US sticker price compared to $5129NZ (around $3400US for those in the US reading) at the local stores (in Auckland, the biggest and theoretically most competitive for stores city in NZ). The only thing that seems to be better price-wise around here is that there are quite a few cheap used Ibanez ATK's floating around - I have one and am biding on a second. Oh, and squiers are cheaper here :rolleyes:

The prices get cranked up going through more layers of middle-men than they do in the US I guess. It's a huge incentive to buy second-hand or from overseas. Though customs do their bit to support the local industry by making it incredibly difficult to bring stuff in, in my limited experience...

11. Transcending

Aug 29, 2005
    I seriously looked at buying a Darryl Jones Sig Skyline
    bought my Carvin instead because I just didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth on the lakland...
  12. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Living in the USA, I have no experience with what the customs/duty/fees/taxes are when bringing in a made in America product. I think this may be a significant part of the price differential.

What are the customs/duty/fees/taxes and regulations for legitimately bringing in a made in America music instrument for your country? What are there differences between bringing in new verses used?
  13. The maximum tarriff on musical instruments is 7.5% in NZ, and most attract no import duty whatsoever. It's simply a matter of more layers of middlemen and lower population so less players in the market so less competition. There is of course an added shipping cost for US made instruments, however almost all of the Asian manufactured instruments are more expensive here than in the US also, and we're closer than you are!!!
  14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Middlemen and distribution costs can be a real bear . . .

When I bought my projector for my home theater, I couldn't find the model I wanted for less than $8500 anywhere.

I ended up buying from a Japanese company that specializes in buying projectors in Japan, then shipping them to the U.S.. I would have had to deal with them if there had been a warranty issue (they had a great reputation in this respect), but I ended up with the projector (plus Japanese remote and manual) for under $5500 after customs and shipping, and no problems whatsoever.

Sometimes you gotta go with the grey market to get what you want at a reasonable price. If you do, make sure you go with somebody who will provide excellent service in the event of a problem.

My projector still rocks, BTW, though prices have come wayyy down since I bought it four years ago.

Best of luck getting your new bass.
  15. im not all that interested in actually getting day maybe...but just the $1000 difference just for different pickups? i reckon thats a load....a hot steaming load
  16. Buy a car and a MIM deluxe jazz.
    Honestly, i still think (after reading a bunch of opinions to justify the prices) that paying more than 2000 dlls for an instrument it's wacko.