Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I was browsing for a new bass, and i remember about Laklands! i've heard many many good things about them.

Does anyone own a 44-02? Specifically, This one?

If so, what's the retail price on that bass and is it possible to get a maple neck with that?

-Mark

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Don't own one. Played a 55-02 in a store, and was amazed at the B string and the overall quality.

Street price on a standard 44-02 is a little under $1100, IIRC.

Street price on a 44-02 Deluxe (quilted maple top, as in the picture) is around $1200, I believe. Maple neck is available.

You might contact Gard at Bass Central or Steve "Dude" Barr at Vintage Bass Trading Co. for a price quote and availability. I believe Steve has a number of Laklands on order that aren't spoken for yet, and he has a thread over at the dudepit listing them, and it looks like he has one matching your description -- natural finish, deluxe quilt top, maple fretboard, on order, thought I don't know if someone's bought it yet: Lakland model thread at Dudepit .
    I'd bet that Gard has a bunch of them on order soon; the ones from the May shipment should be arriving any day now. I'm awaiting my DJ5 with spastic anticipation. :D

Many people like the 44-02. It's got the MM-type pickup at the bridge, and the Jazz pickup at the neck, which gives lots of tonal possibilities. That being said, I was unable to get a classic Stingray tone out of the 55-02 I played, which was more mellow and full -- a little less ballsy, I suppose, than a Stingray. Good tone, nonetheless, but different.

3. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a 44-02 - 3 tone sunburst on quilt maple top with a maple board - and its for sale. Its a great bass in great condition. Selling it because I need to raise cash for some other purchases. PM if you have an interest.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings