Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, May 2, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The few Laklands that I've seen/played all had relatively small/narrow frets on them. Are Laklands available with fatter frets?

And as a side note - anyone who can point me towards an article or other primer on fret options (what are the strengths/weaknesses of various fret styles) will have my gratitude.

Thanks

2. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I worried about this myself, but it proved to be not worth worrying about. My initial thoughts were that a fret dress might cause the frets to disappear! I've played basses with jumbos to the skinny Lakland frets and don't notice any difference.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, Bben, the Warmouth page was helpful!

All of my basses have had jumbo frets. I haven't noticed a big difference when I've picked up smaller fret basses, but it's hard for me to form an opinion on smaller frets based on just an occasional encounter. I know I like my jumbos just fine, and I know I don't want to have to refret a bass every few years unless I get a real, noticeable benefit in playability. So, until I get a chance to fall in love with skinny frets, I'll keep my preference for jumbos.

Edit - I may have made a mistake - oops! I was interested in Lakland because I want a 4 string J style bass with a 35" scale. It looks like their 4's are 34"... I'm not sure why I thought all Laklands were 35" scale. Well, crud - pardon me for my stoopidity. I guess I will post a new thread asking about 35" scale J 4 stringers - unless someone can offer suggestions in this thread...

:bag:

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Call Dan and ask him if he could stick a 35" neck on an Osborne body...shouldn't be that tough, and he does special one-off things like this from time to time. It would be worth a call or e-mail to find out.