Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Mar 14, 2006.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Ok so I have a couple choices are far as a new Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn.

I'm looking at these two:

Natural body ~ Maple neck ~ Aero pickups

Lake Placid Blue ~ Rosewood neck ~ Lindy Fralin pickups

Ok now info from the Lakland website and search results gave me this information.

The maple neck is more of a clarity, piano sound style. While the rosewood has a great midrange and deep bass(from website)

The Aero's are very aggressive and punchy, more of a modern jazz sound. While the Fralins are old school vintage.

What I want is a more modern jazz that sounds hella aggressive and doesn't lack bottom end to carry every note.

Which one do you think will work best for me?

2. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a 4 and 5 JO - both with rosewood and both with Fralins. Both are passive. And both have tons of clarity, drive and definition. I haven't played a maple board - so I can not say how that sounds. I did have a DJ4 with rosewood and Aeros for two days - I returned it. It did have a more aggressive sound than the JOs. But I think the Fralins have a "purer" sound.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've never played Fralins, but I just dropped some Aeros into my Jazz, and they're insanely aggressive. People seem to say that Fralins tend to have more of a vintage sound than a modern sound (for whatever that's worth), so if all else is equal, I would take the Aeros.

4. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I think you answered your own question: go for the one with the aggressive pickups.

5. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Yea I kind of did answer my own question. I guess what I'm asking is.... will the maple fretboard make a huge impact compared to the rosewood? Because the maple is clean, but with the Aero pickups, and the Rosewood is punchy with the clean Fralins. Am I still going to get the aggressive sound of of the Aeros with the Maple board?

Thanks

6. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Generally, yes.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

My DJ5 has a maple board and Aeros and it's mighty aggressive. Growly as an angry bear, and THICK. :D

BTW, the optional J-retro preamp is pricey but adds a lot of flexibility. I can pretty much dial in any tone I want thanks to the sweepable mid control.