Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland, Roscoe, Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the captain, Sep 22, 2002.

1. the captain

the captain

Aug 31, 2002
    Tulsa,OK.
    suffering from GAS in a bad way. need to choose between 4 basses. a lakland 55-94 deluxe, a 44-94 deluxe, a sadowsky standard 4 w/maple top or a roscoe SKB 3000 4 spanish cedar w/ bidrs-eye top & J pups amber finish. they're all great basses but can only choose one. opinions please. style of music is older stuff, eagles,blues, skynyrd, aerosmith, bad co. ,fogelberg, jackson browne etc. thanks for your help.

2. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Well, I have a Lakland 55-94 with a maple fingerboard, a Sadowsky Vintage 5 with maple fingerboard and Roscoe SKB 3005 with pau ferro, and our band plays the same kind of stuff you have listed so hopefully I can give you some insight. I guess I would have to say that my favorite of the three would be a very close tie between the Lakland and the Sadowsky with the Roscoe a very close third. The Lakland seems a bit more versatile than the others and it has a tone that really cuts. The Roscoe has a bit better B string than the Lakland but not by much. The Lakland and the Sadowsky are both better basses for slapping than the Roscoe but the Roscoe does the big, warm P bass sound better than the other two. If you are looking for the jazz bass vibe the Sadowsky would be a great choice. If I could only have one I think I would probably go with the Lakland but would be just as happy with the Sadowsky. Hope this helped.

ITT

3. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I believe you should compare between Sadowsky and Joe Osborne model [the same J/J] then it is going to be apple versus apple.

Any experience with these basses?

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never tried a Roscoe & from all the positive feedback on this board, I'm afaraid to.:D :p

Laklands are excellent basses. They're look great, feel great, Dan Lakin is easy to get intouch with if you shoud run into any problems, they're beautiful basses, fit & finish is flawless. Personally, I don't like the M/JJ pickup configuration. I haven't play any MM configuration that I have really liked. Dosen't make it bad, it's just not for me.

Sadowsky are also excellent basses. They're look great, feel great, Roger Sadowsky is easy to get intouch with if you shoud run into any problems, they're beautiful basses, fit & finish is flawless, the preamp is KILLER, his pickups are KILLER. I own 2, I have one on order, I've owned 3 others that I've sold or traded away to buy other Sadowsky's.

My choice is clear, :D;)

5. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I own a Lakland 55-94 and a Joe Osborne 5, a Sadowsky PJ-5 and a Vintage 5 and have tried the Roscoe SKB-5 and will get one, one of these days... All would be great for what you want, but I would go with the Joe Osborne or one of the Sadowskys.. Lakland will be coming out soon with The Skyline version of the Osborne soon, which kills for the money... There all great basses and each company has excellent customer service... Best of luck...

6. Maybe not in this case. I think the orignal poster isn't asking- Which apple?, rather, should I get an apple or should I get an orange?;) :p

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

For the music you play, I'd go Sadowsky for the Jazz bass vibe or Roscoe if you prefer a Pbass vibe. I've owned all these basses and liked them all. I think the Lakland is the the toughest to get a good on stage sound that cuts. That's just my opinion. The Sadowsky is easiest to make sound good and the Roscoes are a close second. Make sure you get the 3 band eq on the Roscoe. It seemed to be warmer than the 2 band when I ordered mine.

Rob

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You know I'd pick the Lakland, but I'd say that given the choice between the three brands you listed I'd go on looks and pick the best-looking fiver. You're not going to go wrong with any of these basses.