Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lakland rumor

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnA, Feb 11, 2001.

1. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    can anyone verify whether or not laklan is using veneers on their basses with the quilt tops?

twice in the last 2 days i've either heard or read it, so it's either becoming a popular rumor, or....

thanks for the help.

2. Tony Mig.

Tony Mig.

Jan 29, 2001
    As a woodworker, I understand some of the characteristics of wood and how they apply to musical instruments. In order to have a quilt top, the top has to be married to the main body of wood, this is done with a veneer. If Lakeland, or any other maker was to actually find a piece of quilt maple thick enough to use as the whole body, you wouldn't be able to afford the Bass, the cost would be incredible.
    This is the same proccess that has given us such world class instruments as the Gibson Les Paul, so don't consider veneers as a bad thing, because they are not always a sign of cheap construction.

just my 2 cents worth....

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds right to me. My 55-94 Limited has a quilt top only. IMO making a bass completely out of very nice "looking" quilted Maple is probably a waste of wood unless it's key in getting the sound the builder wants.

I have two Maple basses that are two solid pieces of figured Maple, a Clover Bass Tard 5 and a Zon Legacy Standard fretless 5. Initially I thought the wood on the Zon cood have been cut down and used on more than one bass but the design calls for Maple and it works extremely well. Here's a shot of the back of the Zon:

[​IMG]
    The grain looks like it actually rises and falls.

4. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    I was thinking veneer as something much thinner than the standard quilted top -- but I understand.

Thanks!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Alot of companies use veneers, Sadowsky, Lakland, Lull, etc. It's not a seceret. It adds alittle brightness to the sound & makes the top of the bass georgous. Check out this thread:

<center><a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=11646"><b>"Post Pictures of your Basses!"</b></a></center>

You will see alot of basses that have laminated tops. I have a couple of basses on that thread & <a href="http://community.webtv.net/theorembk/WarmothClone/index.html"><b>click on this one</b></a> & you can see a Sadowsky copy I made w/a quilted maple top on an ash body.

6. Uh...no. I have seen more than a few Spectors, Tobiases, Smiths, Foderas, Elricks, and many other makers' products that have solid flame or quilted maple bodies. It's not all that rare.

7. But very heavy

8. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Herm,
    Would you know the thickness of the veneer on a typical Lakland or Sadowsky.?

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I think the laminated top is 1/8" thick. I'm not 100% sure.

10. Nino-brown, Your right, it's a minimum 1/8 of an inch. They usually receive the wood for the veneer in various thicknesses, already bookmatched, and then they run them through the planer util it gets around the 3/16" range. Then it goes through the surface sander (until it gets to be around 1/8")before it is veneered to the Ash body and cut into shape.

11. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Thanks for the info ...

FWIW I'm toying with taking the plunge.

12. I'm now a Lakland Dealer!!

Yup. Just talked to Dan Lakin on the phone, and he asked me why I wasn't selling basses (specifically - his basses). So we talked about it, and decided that I should offer great pricing to Talkbassers who wanted to go with a Lakland bass.

If you need any help deciding which model you want, or if you already know. email me for pricing.

I'm sure I can give you a great deal!!

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    A veneer is just a little coat over the solidbody, its a lot cheaper than a "TOP"
    A "Top" is classified between 1/2" and 1/8" thick layer of wood.
    Example:
    Top = Spector NSCRFM
    Veneer= Spector NS2000Q

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The Euro Spectors (NSCRFM) are not tops. They are solid carved maple bodies.

15. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    so which one do the major companies use? tops or veneers?

lull / sadowsky / lakland ... anyone making a jazz copy..

16. Ifabara, your right - for all intensive purposes, it's called a top, not a cheap veneer applyed with an adhesive, available at any woodworkers store. A lot of veneers are actually "gravures". Gravure being a printing process, that actually prints a woodgrain look onto an adhesive paper, then applied to the body of the instrument. You'll find these on really cheap instruments. Look in the Musician's Fiend catalog. The description of the cheap instruments should specify a "Gravure" veneered top.

lull / sadowsky / lakland all use tops, a company like rogue would use a cheap "gravure" veneer.

17. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Aloha from sunny Honolulu, Hawaii. I just measured the thickness of the quilted maple top on my Lakland Deluxe 55-94. Looks like about 1/8".

The other issue to consider on this matter is that sometimes you actually want the resulting blend of the body woods and the neck (and let's not forget the pick ups and electronics). I'm very pleased with the sound of my Lakland's quilted maple top over swamp ash with a maple neck. I also have a MTD 535 with a maple burl top over swamp ash and a maple neck with Wenge fretboard, great sound but different than the Lakland. I have also owned P-bass with alder body and maple neck, and a jazz bass bass with alder body and a rosewood/maple neck.

All great sounding basses, just different from each other.