1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

lakland scheff pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowmid, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I guys, Got a scheff not to long ago but i'm not crazy about the tone. the kent armstrong don't have the sparkle i like (my main bass is a stingray).

I like to dig in and bring out grunt to my amp. so I like low end growl and top end sparkle as in a stingray but with jazz midrange I was thinking these options:

lindy fralin J . (based on the lakland web site clips)

Joe barden J (based on ben kenney)

Lace aluma J (based on web reviews)

What's your advice here? Any other types of pickups??

thanks!

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    Finally ordered joe bardens

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I was going to say 'anything but Bardens' :(

Worst QC and customer service I've ever seen.

4. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    yeah I know i've seen all your anti-barden posts, what happened? I asked a question to them on their facebook page and got a reply within 6 hours

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bought a set of Strat pickups from Barden a while back. When I got them, I noticed that they had no wrapping tape to protect the coils, you could just see/touch the windings. Didn't think anything of it, never had Bardens before, I figured that was the design and that it would be fine.

Nope. Of course when installing, the windings got sheared. Called Joe, he refused to replace the pickup because I had already installed them. Even sent it to him and he returned it, with a note saying 'open coil' but no offer to fix or replace.

Soon after, he went out of business for the first time of multiple times and I understood why.

6. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    mmmh frightening , anyhow, I always see rave reviews about them and I like the sound, we'll see!

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah they're great sounding pickups for sure. But so are Fralin, Lollar, SGD, and Bartolini so for me personally I have no reason to risk losing $300 from Joe Barden again.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a little confused why someone would buy a Scheff and want to replace the lipsticks. Why not just get the bass you wanted in the first place?

9. I played some guy's Scheff and it sounded amazing.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The new guy running the operation now must have seen this as a problem, so they have clear tape over the coils now.

Bartolini used to have a humbucker with exposed laminated blades that was like this. You could touch the windings. That always worried me.

11. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium

because I've always been a fan of the 4-94 shape but I wanted to have this shape without the MM pickup ( I have a stingray allready).

PLus my scheff (which I bought used) came without the Bartolini NTMB preamp, it came with a bart TCT which his really more of a fender tone stack. Honestly I didn't like the sound of the lipsticks+ the preamp.

I play with a lot of overdrive coming from the amp and I was really lacking some treble zing!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fair enough but I never thought of lipsticks and Fender tone stacks as lacking treble zing. The lipsticks on my Longhorn are bright as all getout. A very unique scoopy sound that isn't for everyone, I'll admit, but I dig it sometimes.